Don Joe

Default mixing speaker wire sizes?

I just noticed that the speaker-level input connectors that came with my
MTX404 amp have 18AWG wires attached to them. However the amp kit I
bought contains 16 gauge speaker wire. Would connecting two different
wires together be a bad idea? Should I go out and grab some 18 gauge
wire instead? I'm going to be using the MTX404 to power a pair of
Kicker K65 coaxials (65W RMS, 130W max) with two of its channels.

Thanks for the help,
Don Joe
sanitarium

Should be OK unless your headunit has unusually high wattage output and
you exceed the capacity of the 18 AWG. There shouldn't be any problem
though th eway I see it.

IMHO you'd be better off using line level outputs/inputs and RCA cables.

Just my thoughts,
Garrett

Don Joe wrote:

I just noticed that the speaker-level input connectors that came with my
MTX404 amp have 18AWG wires attached to them. However the amp kit I
bought contains 16 gauge speaker wire. Would connecting two different
wires together be a bad idea? Should I go out and grab some 18 gauge
wire instead? I'm going to be using the MTX404 to power a pair of
Kicker K65 coaxials (65W RMS, 130W max) with two of its channels.

Thanks for the help,
Don Joe

Don Joe

Thanks, Garrett. My amp kit does contain RCA cables but I'm using my
car's stock headunit so it doesn't have the RCA capability without
adapters (I think). The fellow at Tweeter told me I needed $25
adapters for the RCA connections so that's why I was going to try to
go with the speaker-level inputs instead.

Don

Don Joe wrote:

I just noticed that the speaker-level input connectors that came with my
MTX404 amp have 18AWG wires attached to them. However the amp kit I
bought contains 16 gauge speaker wire. Would connecting two different
wires together be a bad idea? Should I go out and grab some 18 gauge
wire instead? I'm going to be using the MTX404 to power a pair of
Kicker K65 coaxials (65W RMS, 130W max) with two of its channels.

Thanks for the help,
Don Joe

wicked1

It should be fine. Those kickers will bump in a sealed enclosure. I had a
set they ruled. Well worth at least a baffle of some sorts.They will also
take alot more juice than there rated.

"Don Joe" wrote in message
news
I just noticed that the speaker-level input connectors that came with my
MTX404 amp have 18AWG wires attached to them. However the amp kit I
bought contains 16 gauge speaker wire. Would connecting two different
wires together be a bad idea? Should I go out and grab some 18 gauge
wire instead? I'm going to be using the MTX404 to power a pair of
Kicker K65 coaxials (65W RMS, 130W max) with two of its channels.

Thanks for the help,
Don Joe

Mark Zarella

Thanks, Garrett. My amp kit does contain RCA cables but I'm using my
car's stock headunit so it doesn't have the RCA capability without
adapters (I think). The fellow at Tweeter told me I needed $25
adapters for the RCA connections so that's why I was going to try to
go with the speaker-level inputs instead.

Mixing wire sizes is fine. And using spkr level inputs on the amp is
superior to using the $25 "adapter" anyway.

Eddie Runner

Mark, many of the IN AMP hi low adapters are not very good.
sometimes the seperate ones are much better. I had this very
case just Saturday and the customer could not get rid of a ground
loop problem because of the amps internal hilo he was using, I
sold him a decent hilo and his problem was gone.

Eddie

Mark Zarella wrote:

Thanks, Garrett. My amp kit does contain RCA cables but I'm using my
car's stock headunit so it doesn't have the RCA capability without
adapters (I think). The fellow at Tweeter told me I needed $25
adapters for the RCA connections so that's why I was going to try to
go with the speaker-level inputs instead.

Mixing wire sizes is fine. And using spkr level inputs on the amp is
superior to using the $25 "adapter" anyway.

Mark Zarella

Mark, many of the IN AMP hi low adapters are not very good.
sometimes the seperate ones are much better. I had this very
case just Saturday and the customer could not get rid of a ground
loop problem because of the amps internal hilo he was using, I
sold him a decent hilo and his problem was gone.

Eddie, most of these so-called "in amp hi low adapters" are nothing more
than voltage dividers. Two resistors. That's it.

Eddie Runner

You are mistaken....

Name one that is only two resistors and photos of your
proof will be appreciated....

Mark Zarella wrote:

Eddie, most of these so-called "in amp hi low adapters" are nothing more
than voltage dividers. Two resistors. That's it.

Mark Zarella

You are mistaken....

Name one that is only two resistors and photos of your
proof will be appreciated....

Some of the older MTX amps come to mind. I have schematics of a few at
home. I'll email you a scan tonight.

Eddie Runner

Default hi lo adapters mixing speaker wire sizes?

no no no Mark!

Name a HILO adapter that has only resistors!!

I know thats how amps do it and thats why I say hilos
are better than hilos built inside of amps!

I dont know of many seperate hi lo adapters that
do it with just resistors...

Mark Zarella wrote:

You are mistaken....

Name one that is only two resistors and photos of your
proof will be appreciated....

Some of the older MTX amps come to mind. I have schematics of a few at
home. I'll email you a scan tonight.

Eddie Runner

re reading
I missed that you said most *IN* amp hi lows..

sorry about that... ( I agree with that statement)

I guess you agree with me then that most seperate hi los
are better than most built *IN AMP* hi lo s.....???

Eddie

Mark Zarella wrote:

You are mistaken....

Name one that is only two resistors and photos of your
proof will be appreciated....

Some of the older MTX amps come to mind. I have schematics of a few at
home. I'll email you a scan tonight.

Mark Zarella

no no no Mark!

Name a HILO adapter that has only resistors!!

I know thats how amps do it and thats why I say hilos
are better than hilos built inside of amps!

I dont know of many seperate hi lo adapters that
do it with just resistors...

Ah, I misunderstood you.

Anyway, what's the benefit of doing it the other way? Didn't you criticize
the "other way" recently?

Eddie Runner

I like the seperate hi lo adapters (with the exception of a few
really cheapos) much better than the *speaker in* on
most amps that do only use a couple of resistors and
oftentimes suffer from ground loop problems...

Some of the amps we sell and I install have the built in
adapters but I always recomend the sperate adapters
cause they give me less problems...

Eddie

Mark Zarella wrote:

no no no Mark!

Name a HILO adapter that has only resistors!!

I know thats how amps do it and thats why I say hilos
are better than hilos built inside of amps!

I dont know of many seperate hi lo adapters that
do it with just resistors...

Ah, I misunderstood you.

Anyway, what's the benefit of doing it the other way? Didn't you criticize
the "other way" recently?

teban

HI, SOMEBODY HAVE A SCHEMATIC OR SERVICE MANUAL FOR MTX THUNDER 500D??

PLEASE I NEED SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THIS AMP.

THANKS

--
teban

Scott Johnson

turn the caps lock off please.

"teban" wrote in message

HI, SOMEBODY HAVE A SCHEMATIC OR SERVICE MANUAL FOR MTX THUNDER 500D??

PLEASE I NEED SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THIS AMP.

THANKS

--
teban
teban's Profile: