Berk J McGowan

Default Terratec Phase 22

Howdy,

I hope i'm posting this in the right newgroup.

Have just finished building a new pc system to do some home recording. One
of the additions with it was a Terratec Phase 22 sound card. It is all
installed as per the instructions and when audio playback is occuring the
Phase 22 Control Panel detects audio playback (and represents this via the
level indicators), however, no sound is being received by the amplifier.

On examination of the computer settings for Sound devices (found under My
Computer Control Panel Sounds & Audio Devices) on the Volume tab the
Device Volume is set to the low setting, however, the screen is greyed out
(ie not enabled) not allowing me to change or move this setting. I'm
assuming this is why there is no sound emitting from the system.

If someone can please either prove me wrong or please tell me how to fix
this, I would be most appreciative.

Cheers in advance
Bj

Arny Krueger

Berk J McGowan wrote:

Have just finished building a new pc system to do some home
recording. One of the additions with it was a Terratec Phase 22 sound
card. It is all installed as per the instructions and when audio
playback is occuring the Phase 22 Control Panel detects audio
playback (and represents this via the level indicators), however, no
sound is being received by the amplifier.

The Phase 22 looks like the Terratec version of the popular M-Audio
Audiophile 24/96 and/or Echo Mia.

On examination of the computer settings for Sound devices (found
under My Computer Control Panel Sounds & Audio Devices) on the
Volume tab the Device Volume is set to the low setting, however, the
screen is greyed out (ie not enabled) not allowing me to change or
move this setting. I'm assuming this is why there is no sound
emitting from the system.

There are two more authoritative and possibly effective places to look for
volume control settings.

One would be a control panel or level control setting application provided
by Terratec. This should have been installed when you installed the drivers.
It's probably someplace in the Start Menu, probably in a group named after
the vendor or the product.

Another place to look might be in Accessories, Entertainment, Volume
Control.

My recollections are that the other two competitive products I mentioned,
the Mia and the AP2496, have either no representation or very limited
representation in the control panel or the Volume Control accessory. You
have to use the vendor-supplied software to access ALL of the facilities of
the audio interface. This is fairly normal for audio production and
higher-end and high end audio interfaces.

Berk J McGowan

Hi Arny,

Thanks for that.

Managed to get it working by uninstalling the drivers and the Phase 22
control panel and removing the card from it's PCI slot (which turned out to
be too close to the Graphics card - is there some issue with graphics cards
and sound cards too being too close or something is there?) and replacing it
in the second last PCI slot on the board. Powered the machine back up, ran
through the driver install again and voila ... sound!

Cheers
Bj