Tyler Crawford

Default Newbie looking for DAW help

Hey there. I posted a while ago about setting up an analog studio and
got some great info from you folks in those threads. I'm rethinking
the whole analog thing and looking at maybe setting up a DAW.
I currently have a PC that has the following:

AMD XP2000+ (1.67ghz)
512MB PC 2100 RAM
40GB 5400 HD (This needs to go, I know I need a seperate 7200RPM
drive for audio)
Win XP Home (I keep it very clean of spyware, registry crap and keep
only programs I need)

I'd like to have 8 channels of converters. I'm wondering what you
folks think about going with something like the Focusrite Octopre as
opposed to a seperate set of converters and seperate pres. I don't
really know much about this so I'm open to suggestions.
How would a Digi 002 compare to the Octopre?
What about software? I'd be interested in Protools if the Digi 002 is
worth buying but I've also heard good things about Cubase.

What I would be looking to do is record pop and rock music of my own.
It is mainly guitars (acoustic and electric) bass, drums, piano and
vocals.
I still have lots of mics and other studio things to buy but I'm just
trying to learn about converters and such. As far as price range I'd
like to keep it below $1500 if possible. I'm also interested in seeing
what options are available in a bit higher price range to see if it's
worth it to me. Thanks so much.
agent86

Tyler Crawford wrote:

[...]

The Digi002 is worth buying. So is Cubase. So is Sonar & any number of
other systems.

Any modern AD converter is at least decent, so don't lose a lot of sleep
over them until YOU hear a problem. Converters are probably the VERY LAST
thing you should upgrade.

THe Octo pre is PROBABLY decent IF you have a recording spact that will
allow you to track EIGHT MICROPHONES SIMULTANEOUSLY. But keep in mind that
the Octopre won't do anything AT ALL unless you spend an extra $100 for a
special output snake, or $250 - $350 for a digital interface. By the time
you've got all that, you could have gotten the (Focusrite) ISA 428 (4
channels of MUCH better preamp than the Octo), a John Hardy (2 channel of
absolutely superb preamp), or 3 - 4 RNPs (2 channels each, which fall
somewhere between the Hardy & the ISA, depending on who you ask) You would
also be pretty close to the price of a Great River (Real similar to the
Hardy, with an ever so slightly cleaner top end.)

The MAIN thing to remember is that analog or digital, the rules are the
same from the source up to the recorder inputs (analog) or converters
(digital). If you can optomize the Source, the Room Acoustics, the
Microphones, the Preamps, and any Analog Processors on the FRONT END, the
final product will be much better REGARDLESS of the STROAGE MEDIUM.

The SECOND most important thing to remember is that the TALENT of the
MUSICIANS, the ENGINNER, & the PRODUCER are WAY MORE IMPORTANT than ANY
piece of equipment.

The THIRD most important thing to remember is that analog electronics is a
pretty much mature technology. Digital electronics is not. What this
really means is that if you spend $1000 on a top quality mic preamp, you
will likely reap the benefits of over 50 years of research & development, &
you will have a unit that will serve you well for many decades hence. On
the other hand, if you spend that same $1000 on converters, a
soundcard/interface, a computer, or worst of all software. You will have
something that will be worth maybe $50 this time next year.

Good luck to you. Hope this helps.

Tim Ferrell

agent86 wrote:

Tyler Crawford wrote:

THe Octo pre is PROBABLY decent IF you have a recording spact that will
allow you to track EIGHT MICROPHONES SIMULTANEOUSLY. But keep in mind that
the Octopre won't do anything AT ALL unless you spend an extra $100 for a
special output snake, or $250 - $350 for a digital interface. By the time
you've got all that, you could have gotten the (Focusrite) ISA 428 (4
channels of MUCH better preamp than the Octo), a John Hardy (2 channel of
absolutely superb preamp), or 3 - 4 RNPs (2 channels each, which fall
somewhere between the Hardy & the ISA, depending on who you ask) You would
also be pretty close to the price of a Great River (Real similar to the
Hardy, with an ever so slightly cleaner top end.)

Granted...but you still wouldn't have any A/D conversion. The OCTOPRE is very
versatile, very simple and sounds pretty decent. You can go 8 channels mic in,
8 channels line in, 2 channels instrument level in or any combination thereof.
It's got independent phantom on each channel, polarity reversal on two
channels, independent variable compression and limiting on every channel, 8
channel A/D conversion inside the box, lightpipe out with variable sample rate
and bit depth...all for a thousand bucks. And it's pretty hard to screw
something up. Pair that with a decent soundcard or an RME interface and that's
a much better startup solution for someone new. Take it from someone who was
pretty damn new not too long ago and still is by many standards. I'd like to
have a Great River, too. But if I bought one first I wouldn't be working. I'd
be polishing it.

Tim

agent86

Tim Ferrell wrote:

agent86 wrote:

Tyler Crawford wrote:

[...]

I'm looking at the Full Compass catalog, not anything officially from
Focusrite, but from what I see, you have to buy a seperate interface card
to run the Octo at all. The ADAT card is an extra $250, ADAT/SPDIF/AES is
$350. The analog output snakes with d-sub connectors are just under $100.
I suspect the optional AD card for the ISA 428 is as much better than the
Octo ADAT card as the 428 pres are than the Octo pres. I'd also bet that
any converters RME currently makes would blow either one of them out of
the water. But then again, ANY modern converters are probably at least
decent. (that sounds very familiar.)

I may be way off base, but I'm guessing the OP hasn't got an awful lot of
experience under his belt. And I know he ASKED about 8 channel units, bt
unless he's already got a space set up with decent acoustics to record
eight mics (not 8 channels, 8 MICS), I'd still recommend fewer channels of
higher quality preamps. I'd say even if you SOMETIMES record 8 mics at
once, (but not usually), get an RNP & a Mackie 1402. YMMV.

Roger W. Norman

A serious can of worms, but for an 8 channel system sans an external mixer,
the Octopre can work well. That and an RME Multiface and you're home free
with room to expand. The point others have made about different pres is
valid for perhaps a little more experienced person, but if you get decent
mics of different colors, an array of the same mic pres should be fine. I
don't know, however, whether you can get both the Octopre and the RME for
$1500, but you could probably find an inexpensive 9632 or 9652 card on ebay
for less than or right around $500, leaving you $1k for the pres.

Presonus has an upcoming 8 channel box with pres and a firewire connection
to the computer. Don't know a price yet, but it looks good on paper. Plus,
if I'm correct, it might be possible to upgrade the pres as John Rice did in
his M80 using Burr-Brown opamps. It also is scheduled to ship with Cubase
LE, which is 48 track 2/496 software. You can read up on it at
http://www.presonus.com/firepod.html.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Tyler Crawford" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Arny Krueger

Tyler Crawford wrote:
Hey there. I posted a while ago about setting up an analog studio and
got some great info from you folks in those threads. I'm rethinking
the whole analog thing and looking at maybe setting up a DAW.
I currently have a PC that has the following:

AMD XP2000+ (1.67ghz)
512MB PC 2100 RAM
40GB 5400 HD (This needs to go, I know I need a separate 7200RPM
drive for audio)
Win XP Home (I keep it very clean of spyware, registry crap and keep
only programs I need)

I'd like to have 8 channels of converters. I'm wondering what you
folks think about going with something like the Focusrite Octopre as
opposed to a separate set of converters and separate pres. I don't
really know much about this so I'm open to suggestions.
How would a Digi 002 compare to the Octopre?

I was looking at the Octopre, which is an analog/computer interface with an
ADAT interface among other things. Swee****er wants something like $850 for
it.

The Behringer ADA 8000 is analog/computer interface with an ADAT interface.
I think street price is more like $200. Can you hear the difference? Would
you care that much if you did and the difference was nominal. I have a
friend that has a number of ADA8000s, and he says they sound great. I've
heard some of his work and it sounds good to me. I guess ADA8000's at worst,
aren't all that poisonous.

What about software? I'd be interested in Protools if the Digi 002 is
worth buying but I've also heard good things about Cubase.

There's also Adobe Audition.

What I would be looking to do is record pop and rock music of my own.
It is mainly guitars (acoustic and electric) bass, drums, piano and

vocals.

Would this be acoustical instruments or synth?

I still have lots of mics and other studio things to buy but I'm just
trying to learn about converters and such.

One way to learn about stuff is get something that works, doesn't break the
bank, but is something you might not cry about if you had to replace it a
few years down the road.

As far as price range I'd
like to keep it below $1500 if possible.

An $850 interface makes that kinda tough. Of course Swee****er prices are
well, Swee****er prices. Think about service, not necessarily the bottom
price.

I'm also interested in seeing
what options are available in a bit higher price range to see if it's
worth it to me.

Equipment can be a bit like wine. It all tastes different, but some really
good wine you'll like, and other really good wine you might not like at
all, and theres a lot of mid-priced stuff that can work for you. You're not
going to find out what you like unless you taste it, no matter what the
price range.

Now, you can drink nothing but the best highest priced wine, and end up
paying a big price for wine you don't like, or you can learn about wine with
the mid-priced stuff that is good enough to drink if it suits your tastes,
but is not the very best. Sometimes more is less, sometimes less is more,
but much of the time more is more and less is less.

Tyler Crawford

agent86 wrote in message . ..
Tyler Crawford wrote:

[...]

Well now you've got me thinking more about the ISA 428. I think I'd
better off with that, never really thought that I don't need to track
8 mics at a time.

What do you guys think about software? They all have the same quality
of audio regardless of program, correct? I am going to be keeping
track fairly minimal, nevr any more than 16. I would like to get some
software that is easy to mix with and comes with a compressor plugin
and some reverbs and delays and eq's. Any recommendations?
Geoff Wood

Tyler Crawford wrote:
Hey there. I posted a while ago about setting up an analog studio and
got some great info from you folks in those threads. I'm rethinking
the whole analog thing and looking at maybe setting up a DAW.
I currently have a PC that has the following:

if you feel inclined.

geoff