Bill Bradley/The Mic Shop

Default questions Altec 195a

Hi - I've come across a couple of Altec 195a mics. They are without power
supplies etc. Can someone tell me how and with what these work? Thanks,
Bill Bradley, The Mic Shop

EricK

Bill Bradley/The Mic Shop wrote:
Hi - I've come across a couple of Altec 195a mics. They are without power
supplies etc. Can someone tell me how and with what these work? Thanks,
Bill Bradley, The Mic Shop

Bill,

It seems to be quite hard to find any info on these mics. I actually
have one myself. There was a thread on the TapeOp forum a week or so
ago, didn't give any info other than a guy selling one on ebay (no
affiliation to me)
http://tinyurl.com/2rzyt

Here's the link to the TapeOp thread:
http://tinyurl.com/2gcfx

It seems to me I came across a spec sheet online somewhere, not so long
ago. I can't for the life of me remember where though. The power supply
is just like a little phantom box: xlr-in, xlr-out, ac power. The mic
will not run off of phantom though.

It seems to me that inside the mic, there is a little pot of some sort.
Do you have any idea what that is for?

They are actually pretty nice sounding mics. If you would, if you find
out any details on them, let me know.

Thanks,
--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Multi-Track Masters on CD-ROM
www.Raw-Tracks.com

Bill Bradley

EricK wrote in message ...
[...]

Hey Erik - thanks for the info - do you have a working system? I'd be
very interested in getting info regarding the power supply - it must
have the remaining (missing) components for the mic. Is there a model
number on the power supply? Thanks, Bill
EricK

Bill Bradley wrote:
EricK wrote in message ...

[...]

Hey Bill,

Yeah, I have a working system. The power supply is a "539A". All it says
on it is the model number and 120VAC, 50-60Hz, .3 watts. I have no idea
what is going on inside. All I know is that the mix does not work off of
48v phantom and needs this power supply. Did you check out the link for
the one that I saw for sale on Ebay? That is a picture like the power
supply that I have. I have heard that there is also another power supply
that is available that is battery powered. I have never seen one of those.

I really do like the mic. A well respected tech that I used to work with
in Nashville thought there were some similarities to an AKG capsule in
the Altec mic. Can you confirm or disregard that?