Britt

Default audio upgrade

I'm in the process of upgrading the system in my 94 Thunderbird. The
first thing I am going to replace is the speakers (6x8's). I have a
Kenwood head unit that i will replace down the road. Should I match
the speakers front and back? I've looked at some Pioneer 4 ways and 3
ways, I have also looked at Cerwin Vega componets 2 ways. I have 1
set of preamp outputs and would like to add a 4 channel amp. My
future head unit will have 2 or 3 outputs. I'm not sure what to do.
Any suggestions??
Britt

(Z Gluhak) wrote in message . com...
(Britt) wrote in message . com...
I'm in the process of upgrading the system in my 94 Thunderbird. The
first thing I am going to replace is the speakers (6x8's). I have a
Kenwood head unit that i will replace down the road. Should I match
the speakers front and back? I've looked at some Pioneer 4 ways and 3
ways, I have also looked at Cerwin Vega componets 2 ways. I have 1
set of preamp outputs and would like to add a 4 channel amp. My
future head unit will have 2 or 3 outputs. I'm not sure what to do.
Any suggestions??

Well how much do you want to spend? What kind of music do you listen
to? Have you considered getting components for the front and a sub
for the trunk instead of 4 sets of components? Rear speakers are
meant for "fill" and sometimes can be omitted while maintaining good
sound quality. Or you can run rear speakers from the head unit
directly and use the 4 channel amp for fronts/sub or get a 2 channel
amp..possibilities possibilities. main thing is how much you want to
invest.

What's wrong with the Kenwood head unit? You can run 4 channels off
the 1 set of preamps if you use a 2ch xover or y-splitter or eq or
replace the head unit.

Money is not really an issue, I can get all my stereo equipment 10%
above dealer cost.
I guess you could say that I listen to Rock and metal, anything from
Alice in Chains to ZZ Top, very little rap.
I don't think I will ever add subs I'm not a huge fan of big bass, I'm
looking for clean sound.
My main reason for going with a 4 channel amp is tha I am sure that i
will upgrade the head unit in the future.
I am currently looking at Poineer TSA6880 4-ways and Audiobahn 4004T
amp.
This is for a daily driver, and I do not claim to be an audiophille.
The Audiobahn amp looks to have plenty of features to adjust sound
quality, I know that people laugh at Audiobahn, but I like what I've
seen.
TheBIessedDead

Money is not really an issue, I can get all my stereo equipment 10%
above dealer cost.
I guess you could say that I listen to Rock and metal, anything from
Alice in Chains to ZZ Top, very little rap.
I don't think I will ever add subs I'm not a huge fan of big bass, I'm
looking for clean sound.

Well, as a big fan of metal myself, I would suggest listening to some of your
favorite cds on a system that has maybe just a single sub. You might be
surprised at the difference it makes. Just because you have a sub, doesn't
mean you have to be one of those kids driving around rattling windows of houses
as they pass. You can add some nice bass that really warms up the music
without over doing it. And you might be surprised how much of the music you
are missing out on without a sub. Just my opinion.

My main reason for going with a 4 channel amp is tha I am sure that i
will upgrade the head unit in the future.

I'm not sure what you mean. What does adding a 4 channel amp have to do with
upgrading your head unit?

I am currently looking at Poineer TSA6880 4-ways and Audiobahn 4004T
amp.
This is for a daily driver, and I do not claim to be an audiophille.
The Audiobahn amp looks to have plenty of features to adjust sound
quality, I know that people laugh at Audiobahn, but I like what I've

I've never used Audiobahn, but I'm sure it could get the job done for ya.

Nick
Dan D

I don't think I will ever add subs I'm not a huge fan of big bass, I'm
looking for clean sound.

...as they pass. You can add some nice bass that really warms up the music
without over doing it. And you might be surprised how much of the music you
are missing out on without a sub. Just my opinion.

I totally agree. While I am waiting for my bank account to refill
itself after my HU purchase, I decided to get a small/cheap Sony 8"
Sub for my home stereo (way to go boxing day sale ). I already
have a sweet set of speakers that sounded great but just didnt quite
make it low enough. Its only rated at 80W, but IMO the sub was the
best money i could have spent on my stereo. I don't have it cranked or
anything, but in our small living room it just blends in perfectly
with my main speakers and fills up the low end so nicely i could never
go back! Even my wife, who is the opposite of "audiophile" noticed the
difference the sub makes and enjoys it as much as i do. She can't wait
for me to put subs in the car now! :-)

Just my $0.02...
Dan