Trader

Default Capacitor for Car Stereo

Hi,

I'm getting ready to install a Kenwood system. My main power drains are a 4
channel 80 watt x 4 amp, and a monoblock 120 watts x 1 amp for a 10" sub. I
don't drive my system hard or too loud. I was wondering if I need a
capacitor? Also, if I bring a power cable from the battery to the amps how
can I get switched power. Is there some type of trigger device I can buy?

Thanks in advance

Tony Fernandes

You're not running enough power to need a capacitor...you should be perfecty
fine without one. There should be a switched power lead on the back of your
head unit to hook up to your amps.

Tony

--
Sony CDX C90 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,
Phoenix Gold EQ-232 30-Band EQ, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and
"Trader" wrote in message
t...
Hi,

I'm getting ready to install a Kenwood system. My main power drains are a
4
channel 80 watt x 4 amp, and a monoblock 120 watts x 1 amp for a 10" sub.
don't drive my system hard or too loud. I was wondering if I need a
capacitor? Also, if I bring a power cable from the battery to the amps
how
can I get switched power. Is there some type of trigger device I can buy?

Thanks in advance

Trader

Thanks Tony,

Would the switched power lead from the head unit simply trigger the amp on.
I guess I would still need a power cable from the amp to the battery? Is
this correct? It's been 10 years since I did my last system.

Thanks

"Trader" wrote in message
t...
Hi,

I'm getting ready to install a Kenwood system. My main power drains are

4
channel 80 watt x 4 amp, and a monoblock 120 watts x 1 amp for a 10"

sub.
don't drive my system hard or too loud. I was wondering if I need a
capacitor? Also, if I bring a power cable from the battery to the amps
how
can I get switched power. Is there some type of trigger device I can

buy?

Thanks in advance

Bruce Chang

"Trader" wrote in message
t...
Thanks Tony,

Would the switched power lead from the head unit simply trigger the amp

on.
I guess I would still need a power cable from the amp to the battery? Is
this correct? It's been 10 years since I did my last system.

Thanks

Yes, that is correct.. If your headunit doesn't have a switched power, then
you can wire it to the ignition switch so when the car is on, the amp is on.
Things haven't changed radically in the last 10 years. At least not in
terms of power wiring.

-Bruce

Tony Fernandes

Trader,

Yes, like Bruce said. Also make sure you install a fuse in the wire to the
amp as close to the battery as possible.

Tony

--

"Trader" wrote in message
t...
Hi,

I'm getting ready to install a Kenwood system. My main power drains
are

4
channel 80 watt x 4 amp, and a monoblock 120 watts x 1 amp for a 10"

sub.
don't drive my system hard or too loud. I was wondering if I need a
capacitor? Also, if I bring a power cable from the battery to the amps
how
can I get switched power. Is there some type of trigger device I can

buy?

Thanks in advance

Trader

Thanks for all the help. I just picked up 2 pair of Polk 6 x 9 speakers and
a Kenwood Echelon Head unit and Echelon Amp. I wanted to go with a Sound
Stream but the Kenwood Echelon amp integrates with the Kenwood head unit and
offers several nifty features for monitoring and adjusting the amp via the
head unit. I also bought a used Orion Cobalt blue 260. I only paid 40.00.
I hope it works well. My plan is to use this for my 10" sub. I'm also
installing a Sirius tuner which should be fun. The only thing that scares
me is a module I bought for using my steering wheel controls with the new
head unit. I'm actually kinda regretting spending the $70.00 and the
headache of installing this piece. Maybe I'll get lucky. All in all this
should be a killer system. I see it taking two days to do the install.

"Trader" wrote in message
t...
Hi,

I'm getting ready to install a Kenwood system. My main power drains
are

4
channel 80 watt x 4 amp, and a monoblock 120 watts x 1 amp for a 10"

sub.
don't drive my system hard or too loud. I was wondering if I need a
capacitor? Also, if I bring a power cable from the battery to the

amps
how
can I get switched power. Is there some type of trigger device I can

buy?

Thanks in advance

Tony Fernandes

The Kenwood head unit/amp combo sounds intriguing. I read a review of one
of these amps in Mobile Entertainment recently. I constantly wish I would
control my xover points and gains on my amps from the driver seat!!

Did you buy the PAC SWI-X interface? The install is a little overwhelming
at first. I called the number that came with the instructions and a guy on
the other end of the phone helped me out and it was no problem after that.
It was worth the effort.

Have fun...sounds like a nice system you've put together!

Tony

--
Sony CDX C90 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,
Phoenix Gold EQ-232 30-Band EQ, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and
Focal 130HCs For Rear Fill, 2 Soundstream EXACT10s In Aperiodic Enclosure
. ..