I love Edsels

Default sound quality regardless of budget

OK, let's try this the other way. What 6.5 inch component and/or 6x9
speakers should I get for the best sound quality ever, anywhere?
And suppose I've already heard and rejected the usual suspects
such as JBL, Infinity and all the other widely available brands.

And price doesn't really matter.

I know I'll want a real clean amp, and a real clean HU to replace
existing, at some point. But right now it's speakers.

Any ideas?

TIA
Tom
Seattle
Tony Fernandes

I Love Edsels wrote: "What 6.5 inch component and/or 6x9 speakers should I
get for the best sound quality ever, anywhere?"

Rainbow Audio Reference Line speakers.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that

"I love Edsels" wrote in message
OK, let's try this the other way. What 6.5 inch component and/or 6x9
speakers should I get for the best sound quality ever, anywhere?
And suppose I've already heard and rejected the usual suspects
such as JBL, Infinity and all the other widely available brands.

And price doesn't really matter.

I know I'll want a real clean amp, and a real clean HU to replace
existing, at some point. But right now it's speakers.

Any ideas?

TIA
Tom
Seattle

cyrus

I love Edsels wrote:

OK, let's try this the other way. What 6.5 inch component and/or 6x9
speakers should I get for the best sound quality ever, anywhere?
And suppose I've already heard and rejected the usual suspects
such as JBL, Infinity and all the other widely available brands.

And price doesn't really matter.

I know I'll want a real clean amp, and a real clean HU to replace
existing, at some point. But right now it's speakers.

Any ideas?

TIA
Tom
Seattle

How bout taking some of that price doesn't really matter and toss that
into your listening environment?

hth,

--
cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Steve Grauman

OK, let's try this the other way. What 6.5 inch component and/or 6x9
speakers should I get for the best sound quality ever, anywhere?

The truth is that there is no "best". Everyone has different expectations of
their speakers, and everyone wants/prefers/expects a different kind of sound.
In my mind, the "best" speakers are those that do the least to color the music.
I want speakers that convey only what's on the CD or what's being broadcast by
the radio stations I'm listening to. If I want the sound altered, I'd prefer to
do it via EQ. So I bought Dynaudios. For my money, their the best, their the
most natural and the least colored of any speaker I've ever heard. But other
people hate it, because my speakers let every little imperection and oddity in
every recording shine thourgh. Recordings that I thought sounded decent before
sound like **** now, because the Dyns in my car aren't doing anything to cover
that stuff up. And you know what? I LOVE it. Opinions will differ though.
Rainbow, Oz Audio, CDT, Focal and MB Quart produce entire lines of amazing
speakers. And Alpine's X-Type and Pioneer's Reference Series stuff is fantastic
too.

I know I'll want a real clean amp, and a real clean HU to replace
existing, at some point. But right now it's speakers.

Any ideas?

Yea, do everything at once. The MSRP on my Dyns is over $1,000 because of the
kind of quality you get from them, and their fantastic speakers. But without
the nice deck and amp that I have to back those speakers up, the money would've
been a complete waste. Your factory deck, and even moreso your factory amp
aren't capable of making the most of these kinds of speakers. Either keep
saving so you can get everything at once or settle down with the idea of a more
"cost effective" system.
Steve Grauman
mblocks

I like my Focal 165Ws, but they were a bear for me to place and image
properly and need LOTS of clean power to get them going. Dynaudios are
pretty good, too, but that 6.5" driver of the 165Ws is something really
special, IMO. Rich, buttery-textured sound; nothing beats listening to
Karrin Allyson's 'Ballads' through those Focals, but that's just me drooling
again (where are my car keys...I need to sit out in the driveway for a while
to get another hit...). I admit I'm biased; I'm partial to Focal's home
speakers as well.

Car Toys sells them (or at least used to after Magnolia A/V dropped Focal,
mainly because of the above reasons that meant longer install times and call
backs cutting into their fixed fee profits), but I think if you really want
to listen to them right, go to Innovative Audio in Bellevue (just off 520
about a block or two west of the Acura dealership on the same side of the
street); they usually have a rolling install with them in their showroom
(though lately I think they've been pushing MB Quart more). If you REALLY
want to spend money, they will gladly take as much as they can from you. It
was there that I got to sit in a Ferrari F50 just to listen to a HU. Their
customers really do have some killer toys.

There's a shop across the street and to the east who also sells Dyns (it's
been a while so I can't remember it's name, but it's next door to the Dent
Doctor shop); does good work from what I've heard but doesn't have much in
the way of a showroom the last time I was there. His listening room's
usually a customer car waiting to be picked up. Think I heard the Dyns I
had been interested in in a Jag XJ, if I remember right.

"I love Edsels" wrote in message
OK, let's try this the other way. What 6.5 inch component and/or 6x9
speakers should I get for the best sound quality ever, anywhere?
And suppose I've already heard and rejected the usual suspects
such as JBL, Infinity and all the other widely available brands.

And price doesn't really matter.

I know I'll want a real clean amp, and a real clean HU to replace
existing, at some point. But right now it's speakers.

Any ideas?

TIA
Tom
Seattle

Mister_B

Check your OTHER thread "you luv EDs"

--
Mister_B
Mister_B's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=28133

I love Edsels

OK, so far I have 2 names, Rainbow and Dynaudio. Thanks to those who
provided the info. Does anyone know of other high-end car speaker
brands?

TIA
Tom
Seattle
I love Edsels

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 18:30:58 +0000, Mister_B
wrote:

Check your OTHER thread "you luv EDs"

thanks. now i'm up to 3 - CDT, Rainbow and Dynaudio. any others?

thx
Tom

I Care

says...
wrote:

Check your OTHER thread "you luv EDs"

thanks. now i'm up to 3 - CDT, Rainbow and Dynaudio. any others?

thx
Tom

What about Steve's comments listing several others? Pasted below for
your perusal:

Subject: sound quality regardless of budget

MZ

OK, so far I have 2 names, Rainbow and Dynaudio. Thanks to those who
provided the info. Does anyone know of other high-end car speaker
brands?

I could name probably 40 or so that people usually consider very good.
Others in here could name more. What's the point? Why are you asking? I
could also name another 40 sets that sound better to me than most of the 40
"high-end" speakers.

MZ

OK, now I"m up to 4 1/2 - CDT, Rainbow, Dynaudio, Oz and
MAYBE Focal. But what are the other 'high-end' speaker brands?

Why are you ignoring Steve's first line?

"The truth is that there is no 'best'. Everyone has different expectations
of their speakers, and everyone wants/prefers/expects a different kind of
sound."

Yes, you can say that CDT, Rainbow, Dynaudio, Oz, and Focal tend to make
good speakers. But Oz, Focal, and CDT have put out some real losers too.
And Focal is often considered a love it or hate it speaker.

The bottom line is that you can't just go by the brand name. First of all,
many manufacturers make several lines of speakers - and in my experience,
some of them are fantastic while the next line (sometimes the pricier line!)
just plain sucks. A good example of this is the older Rockford speakers.
They used to make a Punch and Power series - the Power series were more
expensive. I absolutely despised the Power series speakers. But I still
have an old pair of Punch series tweeters which are among the best I've ever
heard. Polk is another popular example. I loved their old dX series
speakers (and their dB and MM predecessors), but wasn't very impressed with
their vaunted "Momo" series. Focal is another manufacturer that has several
lines, but not everyone thinks their "best" line sounds the best. The list
goes on.

It's a bit daunting to be faced with the challenge of going out and
listening to all the speakers you can. Some aren't available, and on top of
that, speakers usually sound very different once they're actually in the
car. But you already said you found one set that you listened to and liked.
Sounds like a good starting point. So why haven't you bought them yet??

I love Edsels

I'm asking because I want to know. I go to local stores and see only a
handful of brands, and go online and see a few more.

I know there's more than what I've seen and I'm trying to find out
what they are. I'm not trying to say that they will automatically
sound good because they cost more or are hard to find, just looking.

Tom

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 14:29:54 -0400, "MZ"
wrote:

OK, so far I have 2 names, Rainbow and Dynaudio. Thanks to those who
provided the info. Does anyone know of other high-end car speaker
brands?

I could name probably 40 or so that people usually consider very good.
Others in here could name more. What's the point? Why are you asking? I
could also name another 40 sets that sound better to me than most of the 40
"high-end" speakers.

Colin Smith

I have had a set of Phoenix Gold Comp Elite speakers in my car for over 2
years now. They use very high-end custom-built crossovers and also utilize
the best technology that PG could license...i.e. Dynaudio tweeters and Morel
midbass drivers...outstanding sound quality. I use MBQuart Q-Series in
another vehicle...as you can tell price was not an object for me.
The reason that I have different brands of speakers is that the two vehicles
are radically different in their speaker placement.
Your speaker choices should be initially based on where you are mounting
them...
You will also need to power them properly with a high-quality amp and decent
source-unit, otherwise a great set of speakers will only sound merely good.
Unfortunately, sound boards in car audio shops cannot replicate the sonic
environment in your vehicle.....you need to talk to an audio shop that has a
good rep for sound-quality, not Billy-Bob's Car Audio, Bass and Bait Shop.
Colin Smith

wrote:

OK, so far I have 2 names, Rainbow and Dynaudio. Thanks to those who
provided the info. Does anyone know of other high-end car speaker
brands?

I could name probably 40 or so that people usually consider very good.
Others in here could name more. What's the point? Why are you asking? I
could also name another 40 sets that sound better to me than most of the
40
"high-end" speakers.

Steve Grauman

OK, now I"m up to 4 1/2 - CDT, Rainbow, Dynaudio, Oz and
MAYBE Focal.

What about MB Quart, Alpine Type-X and Pioneer Reference series? What about
Image Dynamics Chameleon components or their HLCD horn-tweeter systems? How
about a USD Audio system, maybe with waveguide tweets? You're leaving off an
awful lot of good speakers.

Steve Grauman
Daniel Snooks

If it's names you are looking for, have a peek at this site :

http://www.teamrocs.com/links/manufacturers.htm

This is still one of the most comprehensive link lists I have seen online
for car audio manufacturers. It's true that this isn't strictly a "high-end"
listing, but I see it as a great starting point for you to find out what is
available.

Dan

"I love Edsels" wrote in message

I'm asking because I want to know. I go to local stores and see only a
handful of brands, and go online and see a few more.

I know there's more than what I've seen and I'm trying to find out
what they are. I'm not trying to say that they will automatically
sound good because they cost more or are hard to find, just looking.

Tom

Chris Liberti

For SQ stay away from 6x9" they are prone to high distortion. The best
price no object would be the Alpine F#1 status (at $3500). For ones within
a reasonable budjet look into the DLS Iridium 6.2 (can be found for around
$500-600) and have won SQ world cahmpionships.

"I love Edsels" wrote in message
OK, let's try this the other way. What 6.5 inch component and/or 6x9
speakers should I get for the best sound quality ever, anywhere?
And suppose I've already heard and rejected the usual suspects
such as JBL, Infinity and all the other widely available brands.

And price doesn't really matter.

I know I'll want a real clean amp, and a real clean HU to replace
existing, at some point. But right now it's speakers.

Any ideas?

TIA
Tom
Seattle

New gear recommendation? / Tascam US-428 sound quality squirlin Pro Audio 1 April 1st 04 03:33 AM
the emperor's clothes Ben Hoadley High End Audio 33 January 16th 04 05:48 PM
Mic Questions Twist Turner Pro Audio 22 November 25th 03 03:04 AM
Speaker Wire & Sound Quality Question CajunUSA Tech 9 September 8th 03 05:17 PM
Budget quality system Dan Berry Car Audio 9 August 14th 03 05:41 PM