C & C Machine, Inc.

Default Need Amp Help

Here is what I need. A 4 channel amp that will run at 3 ohm stereo in the
front and bridge the rear to run 3 ohms mono. Need a small footprint of
around 14" x 12". Also, would like something that will do 50-75 watts front
and 200+ rear. I know this is a tall order but, I have done alot of
research and the only thing I have found is a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 400.4 and
600.4. Finding the 3 ohms bridged has been the biggest problem. Thanks for
any help.

--
Douglas Conder

Mark Zarella

I have been talking to manufactures all day and the only ones I have found
so far is Phoenix Gold and the JL.

Paul's point was that a good amplifier will be able to handle a 3 ohm sub
quite easily, even if they claim it's only capable of handling 4 ohms. The
reason for this is that a) the 3 ohm sub will actually have a higher
impedance than a 4 ohm resistor, due to the impedance dependency on
frequency, the effective impedance added by the box, and power compression;
and b) most of the time, amplifiers aren't driven terribly far beyond their
limits. Good amplifiers are designed to be able to withstand being driven
into clipping rather severely, which produces as much or more heat as
driving lower impedance loads.

The amps that wouldn't be able to handle that sub of yours are the same ones
that can't handle 4 ohm resistors without overheating (these are actually
too common).

Paul Vina

That's odd because RF recommends using a 2.66 ohm load on their 2-channel
amps when bridged.

Paul Vina

newskmNb.2269$rh5.1331@okepread04...

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Paul Vina

I know what you mean. I keep thinking about selling my 300/4 and have even
gone so far as to post FS ads, but I don't think I can do it. Every time I
look at it sitting in it's box I think not a chance in hell!

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Paul Vina

Wow, they used to put it in their amp and sub manuals. They even had it
online in their tech section AND at their annual trainings they preached it
until we were blue in the face. Maybe their amps aren't as solid as they
used to be.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Douglas Conder

I got several more emails today from companies saying they do not recommend
it. I think I have decided to move my JL 300/4 into this install for now.
Run the fronts with 75 x 2 and the rear at 150. Then, buy me a JL 300/2 for
my other vehicle. I was running the 300/4 bridged in the other vehicle
anyway. Thanks for all the input.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Ivan Lopez

If you're looking for a new amp. then the PG Ti500 should be able to fit the
bill for you. 75x4 @4ohms, 150x4 @2ohms, 1ohm stereo capable (does not put
out more more but will handle the load) 250x2 bridged @ 4ohms and 2ohms
(does not put out more more but will handle the load)

If you're looking at used the PG ZX450 and the ZX475ti are essentially the
same amplifier re-branded.

"C & C Machine, Inc." wrote in message
m...
Here is what I need. A 4 channel amp that will run at 3 ohm stereo in the
front and bridge the rear to run 3 ohms mono. Need a small footprint of
around 14" x 12". Also, would like something that will do 50-75 watts front
and 200+ rear. I know this is a tall order but, I have done alot of
research and the only thing I have found is a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 400.4 and
600.4. Finding the 3 ohms bridged has been the biggest problem. Thanks for
any help.

--
Douglas Conder

---