Matt

Default Compressor/Limitor recommendations

Hi all

I'm building up a rack for recording sound for small video productions. I'd
like to be able to connect a mic for interview type situations, but I also
need a balanced stereo line input/output for live events where I'm given a
feed from a desk.

The recording device will be a minidisc deck with a balanced line in.

Could any recommend a good compressor/limiter (or something else). In the
past I've had problems with levels when recording (too busy focusing on the
video side!) so I'd like something which I could pretty much just setup and
leave running sorting the sound out itself.

Budget is around £250 ($420).

Regards

Matt

Mike Tulley

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:11:53 -0000, "Matt"
wrote:

Hi all

I'm building up a rack for recording sound for small video productions. I'd
like to be able to connect a mic for interview type situations, but I also
need a balanced stereo line input/output for live events where I'm given a
feed from a desk.

The recording device will be a minidisc deck with a balanced line in.

Could any recommend a good compressor/limiter (or something else). In the
past I've had problems with levels when recording (too busy focusing on the
video side!) so I'd like something which I could pretty much just setup and
leave running sorting the sound out itself.

Budget is around £250 ($420).

The FMR RNC (Really Nice Compressor) is capable of unobtrusive level
control over a wide input range. You might even want to use two in
series, with the first set at about 2:1 and a low threshold, and the
second set at 8:1 and a high threshold, almost a limiter but less
obvious.

Mike T.