Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Comments on production?

How'd I do? Could I improve the production? Can
you name the melody instruments?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 6/7/2021 10:45 PM, Tobiah wrote:
How'd I do?Â* Could I improve the production?Â* Can
you name the melody instruments?

Whoops, link:

http://ven.rcsreg.com/r2/come_again.wav
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 22:50:19 -0700, Tobiah wrote:

On 6/7/2021 10:45 PM, Tobiah wrote:
How'd I do?Â* Could I improve the production?Â* Can
you name the melody instruments?

Whoops, link:

http://ven.rcsreg.com/r2/come_again.wav

Is that a flageolet? Whatever - it needs more cowbell.

Seriously though, my only criticism would be that this is a little too
close-miked. This kind of performance needs air and I would have moved
the mics back to somewhere between six and ten feet, depending on the
quality of the room.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 6/8/2021 1:01 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 22:50:19 -0700, Tobiah wrote:

On 6/7/2021 10:45 PM, Tobiah wrote:
How'd I do?ÂÂ* Could I improve the production?ÂÂ* Can
you name the melody instruments?

Whoops, link:

http://ven.rcsreg.com/r2/come_again.wav

Is that a flageolet?

English Horn patch of an Akai EWI USB.

Seriously though, my only criticism would be that this is a little too
close-miked. This kind of performance needs air and I would have moved
the mics back to somewhere between six and ten feet, depending on the
quality of the room.

Yeah, I was probably a foot away from the mics. I'm in a bedroom with
little treatment in a residential area, but I'll try a little more distance.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Tobiah" wrote in message ...

On 6/8/2021 1:01 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 22:50:19 -0700, Tobiah wrote:

On 6/7/2021 10:45 PM, Tobiah wrote:
How'd I do? Could I improve the production? Can
you name the melody instruments?

Whoops, link:

http://ven.rcsreg.com/r2/come_again.wav

Is that a flageolet?

English Horn patch of an Akai EWI USB.

Seriously though, my only criticism would be that this is a little too
close-miked. This kind of performance needs air and I would have moved
the mics back to somewhere between six and ten feet, depending on the
quality of the room.

Yeah, I was probably a foot away from the mics. I'm in a bedroom with
little treatment in a residential area, but I'll try a little more distance.

I had the feeling it was played on an Akai controller.
That being said, I thought the music and playing was wonderful. Nice job!

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] palli...@gmail.com is offline

Tobiah wrote:
===========

Seriously though, my only criticism would be that this is a little too
close-miked. This kind of performance needs air and I would have moved
the mics back to somewhere between six and ten feet, depending on the
quality of the room.

Yeah, I was probably a foot away from the mics. I'm in a bedroom with
little treatment in a residential area, but I'll try a little more distance.

** Though Don's comment is quite reasonable in terms of normal recording practice, your close up, near anechoic method is valid.
If heard via headphones or in a well damped room ( quite rare) it sounds too dry - in an average conditions with considerable reverberation bouncing around instruments sound like they are right in the room with you.

For a solo instrument or voice, this is not all bad.

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 04:07:31 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Tobiah wrote:
===========

Seriously though, my only criticism would be that this is a little too
close-miked. This kind of performance needs air and I would have moved
the mics back to somewhere between six and ten feet, depending on the
quality of the room.

Yeah, I was probably a foot away from the mics. I'm in a bedroom with
little treatment in a residential area, but I'll try a little more distance.

** Though Don's comment is quite reasonable in terms of normal recording practice, your close up, near anechoic method is valid.
If heard via headphones or in a well damped room ( quite rare) it sounds too dry - in an average conditions with considerable reverberation bouncing around instruments sound like they are right in the room with you.

For a solo instrument or voice, this is not all bad.

This is a dilemma as old as recording. Do you record dry and allow the
result to sound like it is being played in the listeners room, or do
you record an acoustic that overlays the listener's space and
simulates a different environment? Providing the environment is the
normal choice, because the listener can always deaden a space. Making
a small listening room live is almost always doomed to a booming,
mode-bound failure.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jason Scott[_2_] Jason Scott[_2_] is offline

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 2:20:16 PM UTC-5, Tobiah wrote:
On 6/8/2021 1:01 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 22:50:19 -0700, Tobiah wrote:

On 6/7/2021 10:45 PM, Tobiah wrote:
How'd I do? Could I improve the production? Can
you name the melody instruments?

Whoops, link:

http://ven.rcsreg.com/r2/come_again.wav

Is that a flageolet?

English Horn patch of an Akai EWI USB.

Seriously though, my only criticism would be that this is a little too
close-miked. This kind of performance needs air and I would have moved
the mics back to somewhere between six and ten feet, depending on the
quality of the room.

Yeah, I was probably a foot away from the mics. I'm in a bedroom with
little treatment in a residential area, but I'll try a little more distance.

If you're in an untreated bedroom, you might try adding a little plate reverb
in post.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

If you're in an untreated bedroom, you might try adding a little plate reverb
in post.

I used the reverb in the EWI software for the wind instrument and added some
moderate reverb to the guitar via a plugin.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 9/06/2021 11:07 pm, wrote:
Tobiah wrote:
===========

Seriously though, my only criticism would be that this is a little too
close-miked. This kind of performance needs air and I would have moved
the mics back to somewhere between six and ten feet, depending on the
quality of the room.

Yeah, I was probably a foot away from the mics. I'm in a bedroom with
little treatment in a residential area, but I'll try a little more distance.

** Though Don's comment is quite reasonable in terms of normal recording practice, your close up, near anechoic method is valid.
If heard via headphones or in a well damped room ( quite rare) it sounds too dry - in an average conditions with considerable reverberation bouncing around instruments sound like they are right in the room with you.

For a solo instrument or voice, this is not all bad.

..... Phil

Though I'd suggest that the 'horn' and the guitar sound to be too
different - as in the guitar is close-miked, and the horn is sounding
more distant and roomy. Each in a similar space and apparent distance
would sound better to me.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Though I'd suggest that the 'horn' and the guitar sound to be too
different - as in the guitar is close-miked, and the horn is
sounding more distant and roomy. Each in a similar space and apparent
distance would sound better to me.

Thanks, that's helpful. I did another render, this time with both
instruments in the same reverb space. I was compelled to make the
horn a little more 'wet' though, because if it gets to dry, the
synth sound is betrayed and the thing starts sounding like a Casio
keyboard!

https://ven.rcsreg.com/r2/come_again2.mp3
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 17:08:30 -0700, Tobiah wrote:

Though I'd suggest that the 'horn' and the guitar sound to be too
different - as in the guitar is close-miked, and the horn is
sounding more distant and roomy. Each in a similar space and apparent
distance would sound better to me.

Thanks, that's helpful. I did another render, this time with both
instruments in the same reverb space. I was compelled to make the
horn a little more 'wet' though, because if it gets to dry, the
synth sound is betrayed and the thing starts sounding like a Casio
keyboard!

https://ven.rcsreg.com/r2/come_again2.mp3

A bit more work needed with EQ. The mic's proximity effect lifting the
bass is very evident on the guitar. That needs dialing down to stop it
being so boomy.

music production, audio production, sequencing, mixing, beat,DJ, mixing consoles, Steinberg, Sony, virtual instruments VSTi and samplelibraries, groove, synth, bass, strings, guitar, piano, hip-hop ( hiphop), RnB, trance, jazz Martin Haverland Pro Audio 0 April 19th 10 05:29 PM
Linux an Audio Production Production Heaven (and It's Free) [email protected] Pro Audio 12 September 10th 07 01:18 AM
Comments on a mix please? John Cafarella Pro Audio 0 November 19th 03 12:23 AM
comments on TDS chris High End Audio 0 July 25th 03 12:58 AM
Comments on my mix Jeffrey S. Long Pro Audio 2 July 17th 03 07:24 AM