Who likes power trios ?

Old November 20th 20, 10:55 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Who likes power trios ?

Hi,

This live vid from the UK back in 2003 shows PJ Harvey and her band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w

Despite her American accent, PJ is British and 35 years old, if anyone cares.

I love the raw, live sound and the drumming is something else.

Turn it up loud.

Condenser mics on the guitar amps is a cool touch.

....... Phil

Old November 20th 20, 02:41 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_]

On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 4:55:30 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This live vid from the UK back in 2003 shows PJ Harvey and her band.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w
>
> Despite her American accent, PJ is British and 35 years old, if anyone cares.
>
> I love the raw, live sound and the drumming is something else.
>
> Turn it up loud.
>
> Condenser mics on the guitar amps is a cool touch.
>

> ...... Phil

Everyone in a power trio had to "play wide." Not everyone can do that well.
Are there power trios today? How do they stand up against, say, Cream?
Old November 21st 20, 07:42 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:
=============

> > This live vid from the UK back in 2003 shows PJ Harvey and her band.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w
> >
> > Despite her American accent, PJ is British and 35 years old, if anyone cares.
> >
> > I love the raw, live sound and the drumming is something else.
> >
> > Turn it up loud.
> >
> > Condenser mics on the guitar amps is a cool touch.
> >

> Everyone in a power trio had to "play wide." Not everyone can do that well.

** Yep - the past masters at it made it sound like there was an extra invisible member, or two.

> Are there power trios today? How do they stand up against, say, Cream?

** Well, these three can lay claim to being *very* close:

http://rockandrollgarage.com/creams-...tour-for-2020/

Includes an 11:42 long live version of "Spoonful", in good stereo, played by family of the originals.

Use headhones, cos there is tons of live ambience .

...... Phil
Old November 21st 20, 08:00 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 21/11/2020 7:42 pm, wrote:
> Ty Ford wrote:
> =============
>

>>> This live vid from the UK back in 2003 shows PJ Harvey and her band.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w
>>>
>>> Despite her American accent, PJ is British and 35 years old, if anyone cares.
>>>
>>> I love the raw, live sound and the drumming is something else.
>>>
>>> Turn it up loud.
>>>
>>> Condenser mics on the guitar amps is a cool touch.
>>>

>> Everyone in a power trio had to "play wide." Not everyone can do that well.

> ** Yep - the past masters at it made it sound like there was an extra invisible member, or two.
>
>> Are there power trios today? How do they stand up against, say, Cream?

> ** Well, these three can lay claim to being *very* close:
>
> http://rockandrollgarage.com/creams-...tour-for-2020/
>
> Includes an 11:42 long live version of "Spoonful", in good stereo, played by family of the originals.
>
> Use headhones, cos there is tons of live ambience .
>

> ..... Phil

Thanks for that. Great stuff.

Old November 21st 20, 01:57 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W

pallison49:

> Hi,
>
> This live vid from the UK back in 2003 shows PJ Harvey and her band.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w
>
> Despite her American accent, PJ is British and 35 years old, if
> anyone cares.
>
> I love the raw, live sound and the drumming is something else.
>
> Turn it up loud.
>
> Condenser mics on the guitar amps is a cool touch.
>

> ...... Phil

classic PJ Harvey stuff - if you were around 20 years old in the mid-90s
and like(d) alternative rock music, it was hard to not know her, at
least in Europe

maybe you know this performance as well - though, definitely *not a
trio!*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZafH1qXKxMg

not quite as loud, yet a good song, so you can turn it up loud, as well

another Phil

Old November 22nd 20, 05:52 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:

> Are there power trios today? How do they stand up against, say, Cream?

** Who needs new power trios - w hen the old ones are still good as ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG2JtdUEMJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB3SOEsk3zw

ZZ-Top, live in 2106

...... Phil