Event 20/20 bas Filter Cap Question

Old February 15th 20, 03:52 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Event 20/20 bas Filter Cap Question

John Hardy > wrote:

>"Lifetime @ Temp.: 1000 Hrs @ 85°C"
>
>That is the shortest life rating at the lowest temperature I've ever seen!

"The warranty is 90 days. If it fails after that, it's not our problem."
-- Engineer at Fisher, 1980 or so
Old February 15th 20, 03:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
sTeeVee

On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 1:02:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> I have an original set of Event 20/20 bas self-powered monitors which started making a hum on one side. I removed the amplifier assembly and noticed one of the filter capacitors is bulging a bit. I replaced the filter caps on a set of self-powered Tannoy's several years ago with excellent advice from this group so I thought I'd ask again.
>
> The original caps are Rubicon C E 63V 10000 uF (M), unsure what the 'M' is for. Perhaps if someone could steer me towards a particular brand/type which would be suitable. I wasn't successful using the DigiKey filters to locate a suitable replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Gary V

Almost doesnt matter what the physical config is as long as electrical nd thermal specs are met. If you are having any trouble chasing down the exact mechanical specs you can always afix the cap internally and jumper into the circuit by soldering pieces of insulated wire on all ends. Good luck
Old February 15th 20, 06:02 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 6:53:30 AM UTC-8, sTeeVee wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 1:02:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > I have an original set of Event 20/20 bas self-powered monitors which started making a hum on one side. I removed the amplifier assembly and noticed one of the filter capacitors is bulging a bit. I replaced the filter caps on a set of self-powered Tannoy's several years ago with excellent advice from this group so I thought I'd ask again.
> >
> > The original caps are Rubicon C E 63V 10000 uF (M), unsure what the 'M' is for. Perhaps if someone could steer me towards a particular brand/type which would be suitable. I wasn't successful using the DigiKey filters to locate a suitable replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Gary V

> Almost doesnt matter what the physical config is as long as electrical nd thermal specs are met. If you are having any trouble chasing down the exact mechanical specs you can always afix the cap internally and jumper into the circuit by soldering pieces of insulated wire on all ends. Good luck

Good advice. I was considerably constrained trying to locate a proper mechanical fit. Some years ago I chased down an annoying vibration inside one these monitors and I wanted a cap to sit securely to the board so I could use silicon adhesive sealant to further secure the mount. It was a difficult chore tracking down the annoying vibration so I wanted to avoid that issue again.
Old Yesterday, 01:19 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16/02/2020 6:02 am, wrote:
> On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 6:53:30 AM UTC-8, sTeeVee wrote:
>> On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 1:02:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>> I have an original set of Event 20/20 bas self-powered monitors which started making a hum on one side. I removed the amplifier assembly and noticed one of the filter capacitors is bulging a bit. I replaced the filter caps on a set of self-powered Tannoy's several years ago with excellent advice from this group so I thought I'd ask again.
>>>
>>> The original caps are Rubicon C E 63V 10000 uF (M), unsure what the 'M' is for. Perhaps if someone could steer me towards a particular brand/type which would be suitable. I wasn't successful using the DigiKey filters to locate a suitable replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Gary V

>> Almost doesnt matter what the physical config is as long as electrical nd thermal specs are met. If you are having any trouble chasing down the exact mechanical specs you can always afix the cap internally and jumper into the circuit by soldering pieces of insulated wire on all ends. Good luck

> Good advice. I was considerably constrained trying to locate a proper mechanical fit. Some years ago I chased down an annoying vibration inside one these monitors and I wanted a cap to sit securely to the board so I could use silicon adhesive sealant to further secure the mount. It was a difficult chore tracking down the annoying vibration so I wanted to avoid that issue again.

In an active speaker sound physical mounting is an issue (vibration !),
so if not a proper fit some arrangement is necessary (non-corrosive
silicone best, else hot-melt glue).

In fact even *if* a proper fit such measures are often applied.

Old Yesterday, 03:44 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 4:19:06 PM UTC-8, geoff wrote:
> On 16/02/2020 6:02 am, wrote:

> >> Almost doesnt matter what the physical config is as long as electrical nd thermal specs are met. If you are having any trouble chasing down the exact mechanical specs you can always afix the cap internally and jumper into the circuit by soldering pieces of insulated wire on all ends. Good luck

> > Good advice. I was considerably constrained trying to locate a proper mechanical fit. Some years ago I chased down an annoying vibration inside one these monitors and I wanted a cap to sit securely to the board so I could use silicon adhesive sealant to further secure the mount. It was a difficult chore tracking down the annoying vibration so I wanted to avoid that issue again.
> >

> In an active speaker sound physical mounting is an issue (vibration !),
> so if not a proper fit some arrangement is necessary (non-corrosive
> silicone best, else hot-melt glue).
>
> In fact even *if* a proper fit such measures are often applied.
>
> geoff

Yes, it's a real pain to solve vibration issues in an active speaker. I installed the new capacitors and the hum disappeared. They were a perfect fit; seating nicely against the circuit board. I had some left over silicone adhesive that Scott recommended from a previous project, so I applied it liberally. Interestingly, when I dissected the 2nd speaker it had a different filter capacitor with a slightly lower voltage rating and smaller diameter. Thanks again.