Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default Capstan motor info

Hi,

I have here a tape echo, Evans super echo SE-810, with a non working capstan
motor.

Can't find any schematics for this, so am looking for generic info what this
motor and driver circuit might be, so I can diagnose and fix it.

Photos he

Motor with connectors
http://tinypic.com/r/28stz05/9

Drive circuitry
http://tinypic.com/r/34e2txh/9

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

gareth magennis wrote:

I have here a tape echo, Evans super echo SE-810, with a non working capstan
motor.

Can't find any schematics for this, so am looking for generic info what this
motor and driver circuit might be, so I can diagnose and fix it.

Photos he

Motor with connectors
http://tinypic.com/r/28stz05/9

Drive circuitry
http://tinypic.com/r/34e2txh/9

** Looks to be the same brushless DC motor ( Pioneer ) and drive card as used in early Roland tape echos - like the RE-201.

A slow running motor when driving tape is almost always a top bearing problem.

However, a dead motor is not easily repaired.

Roland 201 and 301 schematics are easily found on the web.

What you need is another motor to try to find out if that is the problem or not.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Gareth Magennis wrote:
Hi,

I have here a tape echo, Evans super echo SE-810, with a non working capstan
motor.

Can't find any schematics for this, so am looking for generic info what this
motor and driver circuit might be, so I can diagnose and fix it.

Photos he

Motor with connectors
http://tinypic.com/r/28stz05/9

It's a four-phase motor.

Drive circuitry
http://tinypic.com/r/34e2txh/9

Looks like a four-phase oscillator.

1. Before doing anything else, replace all the electrolytic caps.

2. While you have the board out, make sure the windings in the motor test
okay for resistance and that those TO220 transistors aren't shorted.

2. Look at the Uher 4000 for a good example of this general phase shift
oscillator design.