Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default recovering crashed mp3 recording

So, I recorded direct to USB stick a live event over 3 days.
Yamaha QL5 recording a 192kHz mp3.

First day fine, second and third days threw up 3, maybe 4 errors saying
problem with recording, recording stopped.
So I should have 6 or 7 files, but only have 3, the three that completed
with no errors.

Now, I have had a similar thing with a Midas32 where I forgot to turn off
the recording before the desk was powered down, leaving no file saved, but
this was recording WAV's.
I discovered that you can recover from this scenario because the WAV's are
continuously recorded onto a temp file before being converted to WAV.
From DOS, you can see these otherwise hidden files using a dir /a I think,
then rename them as WAV, and then import them to Audacity (or is that
Audition?) as a digital file with no header info.
The software is then be able to convert this into a proper WAV with the
proper heading, and you recover all the data, as I did.

I have been trying to do this with the missing mp3s but it doesn't seem to
work, DOS doesn't see any temp files.
I know the USB stick is continuously recording the data as the Midas WAV
does, you can see the LED flashing, so it should all still be there, if only
I could find a way to recover it like the WAV.

This is not a game changer at all, I only recorded it to USB in case it
actually worked properly - from past experience I knew this was quite
unlikely in the real world!
(Why? it is 2018 for god's sake)

These were meant to be 3 long recordings, 10 hours each.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rasta Robert Rasta Robert is offline

On 2018-08-22, Gareth Magennis wrote:
So, I recorded direct to USB stick a live event over 3 days.
Yamaha QL5 recording a 192kHz mp3.

First day fine, second and third days threw up 3, maybe 4 errors saying
problem with recording, recording stopped.
So I should have 6 or 7 files, but only have 3, the three that completed
with no errors.

Now, I have had a similar thing with a Midas32 where I forgot to turn off
the recording before the desk was powered down, leaving no file saved, but
this was recording WAV's.
I discovered that you can recover from this scenario because the WAV's are
continuously recorded onto a temp file before being converted to WAV.
From DOS, you can see these otherwise hidden files using a dir /a I think,
[...]

Testdisk & Photorec are suited for this kind of job, where the (partial)
file has been written to disk/USBstick/Flashcard, but there has not
been a poiter written to the FAT (file allocation table), so it is
invisible from the OS's point of view.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhotoRec
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
Downloads: https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Robert.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/23/2018 3:20 PM, Gareth Magennis wrote:
I downloaded and ran the Testdisk/PhotoRec software.
Photorec only found the mp3's I already had.

Sometimes you're just SOL, but I once recovered some lost photos from my
camera's flash memory card using Recuva. As long as you're trying things
that have been known to do work magic, it's worth a shot.

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/25/2018 1:34 AM, Gareth Magennis wrote:
What was a bit odd, is that both programs recovered a short (38 minute)
WAV file which was part of the show.
The recording desk isn't capable of writing WAV's, it only does mp3, so
not sure where this came from, unless both recovery program found a bit
of lost music and created a WAV to house it.

I think that's a good guess. Recuva is from before the MP3 encoding
patent expired, so if it recovered some audio, it would need a license
in order to convert it back to MP3 format. It's nice to know (or think)
that the program tries to do more than simply put together scrambled
file fragments. And recovering your audio as WAV files gives you more
flexibility in putting together as much as you can from the pieces.

The WAV doesn't show on the stick in Windows, just 3 mp3's.