Default I need surround sound card advice please.

I am building a Media PC and I'm trying to figure out the best sound
card to buy. The PC I'm building is going to have a DVD-ROM and 200
GB HDD. I am going to install a TV-PVR card so that I can record
favorite TV programs. I plan on ripping most of my DVD collection to
the HDD (about 25 - 30 classics) so that I can watch them any time.
I will not be doing any gaming on the media PC.

My big question is What Sound Card Do I Want?

I have a surround sound (RCA receiver) system that handles my current
set-top DVD player as well as video game consoles. I would like to run
the media PC to the surround sound receiver. Most of the 5.1 or better
sound cards have several outputs, which I assume is if you buy a
separate set of surround sound speakers for your PC. How do I get all
those outputs into one digital line to plug into my receiver or into
the RCA jacks to plug into my receiver? Is there a cable that adapts
the multiple outputs on the sound card to plug into the receiver? Will
this method retain the true digital surround sound? If not, do I have
to find a sound card specifically designed for going to a receiver?
I'm no stranger to building PCs but I am in relatively uncharted
waters here and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have about $50 - 75 to spend. I'm not sure yet if I'll be
running Win XP Pro or Windows Media Center. Depends on the cost of
either of those operating systems. I figure I'll want a PCI card
(opposed to ISA). If there is an affordable USB option I would also
consider that as well; but I would like to keep the amount of set-top
clutter to a minimum.

Thanks,

-Lydokane-

BUMP

Bump

Tim Martin

wrote in message
oups.com...
Bump

You can connect the sound card's three 3.5mm outputs to your receiver's
phono inputs using three stereo cables, each with a 3.5mm stereo plug at one
end and a pair of phonos at the other.

You'll need to check the sound card's connections, but I expect you'll find
it has one output for the front left and right speakers, one output for the
rear left and right speakers, and one output for the centre speaker and
subwoofer.

Tim