Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] palli...@gmail.com is offline

Default Who likes power trios ?

Hi,

This live vid from the UK back in 2003 shows PJ Harvey and her band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w

Despite her American accent, PJ is British and 35 years old, if anyone cares.

I love the raw, live sound and the drumming is something else.

Turn it up loud.

Condenser mics on the guitar amps is a cool touch.

....... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 4:55:30 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi,

This live vid from the UK back in 2003 shows PJ Harvey and her band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w

Despite her American accent, PJ is British and 35 years old, if anyone cares.

I love the raw, live sound and the drumming is something else.

Turn it up loud.

Condenser mics on the guitar amps is a cool touch.

...... Phil

Everyone in a power trio had to "play wide." Not everyone can do that well.
Are there power trios today? How do they stand up against, say, Cream?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:
=============

This live vid from the UK back in 2003 shows PJ Harvey and her band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w

Despite her American accent, PJ is British and 35 years old, if anyone cares.

I love the raw, live sound and the drumming is something else.

Turn it up loud.

Condenser mics on the guitar amps is a cool touch.

Everyone in a power trio had to "play wide." Not everyone can do that well.

** Yep - the past masters at it made it sound like there was an extra invisible member, or two.

Are there power trios today? How do they stand up against, say, Cream?

** Well, these three can lay claim to being *very* close:

http://rockandrollgarage.com/creams-...tour-for-2020/

Includes an 11:42 long live version of "Spoonful", in good stereo, played by family of the originals.

Use headhones, cos there is tons of live ambience .

...... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 21/11/2020 7:42 pm, wrote:
Ty Ford wrote:
=============

[...]

Thanks for that. Great stuff.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] palli...@gmail.com is offline

Ty Ford wrote:
============

Are there power trios today? How do they stand up against, say, Cream?

** Who needs new power trios - w hen the old ones are still good as ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG2JtdUEMJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB3SOEsk3zw

ZZ-Top, live in 2106

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jason wrote:
===========

Everyone in a power trio had to "play wide." Not everyone can do that well.
Are there power trios today? How do they stand up against, say, Cream?

Jimi Hendrix? I recall that was a trio but could sound way larger.

** For sure !!

One evening I played Hendrix performing "Little Wing" at the Royal Albert Hall for a visitor.

He was not familiar with the track or listening via my electrostatic speakers.

As the track ended, applause could be heard rising from the audience.

He suddenly leapt to his feet, pointed at the speakers and exclaimed:

" That was live ??? "

Almost in tears, he could hardly believe it was a live performance with only 3 guys playing.

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

pallison49:

Hi,

This live vid from the UK back in 2003 shows PJ Harvey and her band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w

Despite her American accent, PJ is British and 35 years old, if
anyone cares.

I love the raw, live sound and the drumming is something else.

Turn it up loud.

Condenser mics on the guitar amps is a cool touch.

...... Phil

classic PJ Harvey stuff - if you were around 20 years old in the mid-90s
and like(d) alternative rock music, it was hard to not know her, at
least in Europe

maybe you know this performance as well - though, definitely *not a
trio!*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZafH1qXKxMg

not quite as loud, yet a good song, so you can turn it up loud, as well

another Phil