Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Convert mono LP to digital

PStamler wrote:
On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 8:20:00 PM UTC-5, Trevor wrote:
On 6/10/2015 5:29 AM, PStamler wrote:
Record in 24 bits (or 32 bits floating); after you've done everything y=

ou want to do to the
signal, convert to 16 bits for burning a CD.

=20
Had to smile that you think you will need more than 96dB DNR to record=20
old vinyl :-)
(Most DAWS work internally at 32bit floating, or better now anyway)
Still, won't hurt at least.

That's a long and complicated discussion, which I don't have time for while=
the rice is on the stove. Suffice it to say that every declicking algorith=
m I've ever used works more effectively, with fewer artifacts, on 24-bit fi=
les (or the 32-bit version of them) than on 16. Worth using just on that ba=
sis.

That's weird. I have noticed dramatic improvements in declicking from using
higher sampling rates and wideband preamps; even though there isn't much signal
at 30 KHz there is enough to make for a better-defined edge detection.

But I have not noticed improvements from the longer sample size.

Now... I would most definitely believe that the longer sample size would be
a huge win if you're doing the RIAA de-emphasis in software, since the needed
dynamic range in that case is pretty huge. Even with the de-emphasis, if
your preamp is very wideband you may see that half of your dynamic range is
being eaten up by rumble that you're just going to filter anyway, so there is
a need to have considerably more dynamic range than the record itself may
have usable.