Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Babiak Paul Babiak is offline

Default Convert mono LP to digital

On 10/05/2015 03:14 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Edi Zubovic edi.zubovic[rem wrote:

-- I'm doing it in two ways: either record in the mono LP with a
stereo cartridge or use mono cartridge (internally wired but with
maintained vertical compliance). The third way would be using a
dedicated mono cartridge like old EMT (ie. Ortofon) OFS(aphire) or
OFD(iamond) cartridges. Today, Ortofon SPU fall in this category, I
think.

The problem with the new Ortofon mono cartridges is that they are only
available with spherical styli, so you have all the tracking issues that
are inherent with that. But the extreme vertical stiffness is a big win
for mono records.

In all cases, I'm using a dynamic - moving coil - cartridge. Older
LPs play well with a 1 mil stylus or somewhat less.

More recent microgroove records, say mid-60s onwards, would require
that less-than-one-mil styli.

I'm not sure I buy that in part because it depends on how you measure it.
The original standard for mono recordings was 1.0 mil spherical, but if you
use an elliptical stylus you'll find a slightly smaller stylus will ride at
the same point in the groove.

Which is part of why I think the fineline stylus is such a win when it is
possible to use them; they can ride evenly in a wide range of groove widths.
--scott

I have no direct experience with the Denon DL-102 mono cartridge, but it
looks good on paper, or at least on glass...

http://www3.sympatico.ca/murraya/DenonMonoPage.htm

Quote:

Basically, the DL-102 is a high output MONO moving coil cartridge which
has incorporated both vertical compliance and a 0.7 mil radius stylus,
making it compatible with stereo LP playback and is intended for
playback of both Mono and Stereo Records.

The DL-102 is NOT a stereo cartridge strapped internally for mono, but
is specially designed to output a mono signal from a stereo LP, so there
is no danger of damaging a modern LP by its use. Denon's own
instruction sheet states "The DL-102 is a monophonic output moving coil
cartridge designed for monophonic replay as well as the monophonic
playback of stereo recordings."

Paul