Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Convert mono LP to digital

On 10/4/2015 10:03 PM, Nil wrote:

I want to digitalize a mono LP. I record it to the computer as a stereo
WAV file. What's the best way to make it a mono WAV file?

Unless you're trying to make the smallest file, you're probably better
off ending up with a stereo file with both channels identical. It's less
confusing. I take it that your goal is to clean up the sound of the
original record in the process of digitizing it.

My usual
practice has been to pick the best-sounding/least-noisy channel and
eliminate the other. But I recall someone here recommending doing
something like inverting one channel and then summing them in order to
cancel out more noise. That's not it, but something like that.

No, you don't want to do that. It'll leave only what's different between
the channels, essentially only the errors with your phono cartridge and
the crackles on one channel that aren't simultaneously on the other
channel. But there are a number of different "restoration" programs and
plug-ins, some even free, that you can try. No doubt this thread will
grow a collection of recommendations.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com