Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default entry-level mixer

"Donovan Digital" wrote in
message

I am about ready to buy my first live mixer. I've
narrowed it down to Soundcraft MFX20 and Mackie CFX20.

I really like the MFX20 and the rest of this series of mixers because they
don't cost a ton of money, they have a good pedigre, almost all inputs are
mic inputs, and they have a real insert (for tapping off to record) on just
about every channel.

My 2 Questions;

the mackie has a subwoofer output which feeds an
amped/powered subwoofer system
with a 75hz low cut summed-stereo signal. Is there a way
to recreate this behavior on the soundcraft?

Making mono from a mixer's output is just a couple of resistors in a Y
cable. If you're doing SR, you probably want that, anyway.

Also, there are lots of ways to provide a signal to a sub. One involves
using an Aux send that is only driven by channels from sources (e.g. *not*
vocal microhones) that can't give you problems with feedback. That can work,
too.

Is the only way to solo listen to a channel on the
soundcraft to move my headphone plug?

Well, there are all these PFL buttons. They are for that purpose, even
though their name isn't solo. Another great feature. BTW, Soundcraft gets
points from me for not calling them Solo buttons, because in my lexicon,
they ain't. Macke often seems to think otherwise, and I can live with that,
too when I have no choice. You still have a choice!

A distant third is a Yamaha MG206C-USB, because my
associate has a macbook which we could theoretically use
for fx processing. I'm guessing the latency is
unacceptable though.

In general, what does everyone think about these units?

I wish I had one for small gigs. It looks to me like a great SR board and a
great board for recording. Too bad the whole thing ain't digital! Come back
in 5 years. ;-)

BTW, I answered all your questions by reading;

http://www.soundcraft.com/download.a...nge/MFX_UG.pdf

Which google found in a flash on this page:

http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sh...product_id=149

I've always been of the opinion that I'd rather teach someone how to fish
and fillet, rather than just give them a fish stick. You live next to a lake
of knowlege called the web - please learn how to fish! ;-)

Also, it sounds like you could know more about doing live sound without
hurting yourself (couldn't we all!), You might want to read Yamaha's Sound
Reinforcement Handbook, which again Google can give you a zillion sources
for.