Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

Default Arny, what does this mean?

In article

et,
Jenn wrote:

And doctorates are the baseline in higher ed. In the performing arts,
this really became reality about 8 years ago. In 1995, I left teaching
for 4 years to deal with sick family members and my own medical issues.
At that time, it wasn't uncommon for conductors (including myself) with
"just" Masters degrees to get hired at 4-year schools. Now, that's
almost impossible. Just about every job has a doctorate as basic
requirements. Leonard Bernstein coudln't get hired at a University of
California or State University now.

I can second this! There are so many candidates for university jobs that
the degree bar can be set high. Unfortunately, this can make music an
academic pyramid scheme that undervalues real-world experience and
requirements. On the other hand, there will be fewer music profs like
the ones who fell into their jobs forty years ago when the field was
wide open.

Stephen