Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dec [Cluskey] Dec [Cluskey] is offline

Default Ohms specs for headphones...do they matter?

Hi Richard

Depending on where and when you want to use the headphones, it is good
to remember that the all time Industry Standard earphones are and
always were the Beyer Dynamic DT 100.

No matter what studio you visit in the world they will always have
those earphones....TV... Radio .... whatever.

There will always be individual DJ's and home Hi-Fi buffs who will
swear by differing makes and models but the standard has, and it
seems, will always be DT100.

They can be purchased in various Impedance values. Basically,
impedance has nothing to do with quality, only to do with loudness.
So, the higher the impedance the lower the loudness....Okay? In
simple terms. I am sure that a lot of contributors will have a lot to
say about that statement? I base my theory on the fact that a 4 OHM
speaker will be much louder than an 8 OHM speaker when driven by the
same amp.?

This stuff has always been 'black magic'.

Dec [Cluskey]

On Jun 29, 1:33 am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"genericaudioperson" wrote ...

I've been researching headphones. I noticed a lot of them are rated
at 32 ohms. Then many of the expensive ones are rated at 100+ ohms.