Posted to rec.audio.car
Shug Shug is offline

Default Max. size of USB flash-drive for car decks?

On 28 May, 18:07, Tom wrote:
More research and actually trying it has answered my questions. As long as
you obey the allowable folder/file structure, the device should work. This
is Kenwood's spec. fromhttp://www.kenwood.com/audiofile:

Maximum number of folder layers: 8
Maximum number of folders (per device): 500
Maximum number of files (per folder): 4096
Maximum number of files (per device): 15000

15,000 songs would fill 60-80gb in typical use! I'm sure flash will reach
that capacity soon enough.

I now have a 16gb 2.0 flash drive over 2/3rds full and it reads with no
errors (except DRM files synced with Windows Media Player 11 get ignored).
The flash drive takes about 15 secs to load on power-up. As long as you
don't unplug it, the last song position is remembered after you turn off
the deck. Very convenient to not walk through folders again.

To be conservative, I'd group music into as few folders as possible. You
can sort tracks in any order by naming them: 01 Song5, 02 Song3, 03 Song8,
etc.. Folders help with category sorting and navigation speed if the deck
lacks ID tag genre sorting.

When the last file in a folder is reached, playback moves to the first file
in the next folder, based on nesting levels and folder names. USB's main
weakness is getting gapless playback to work outside a computer. For me
there's no turning back to discs now.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm new to this group, and found your research very interesting.

I'm currently looking for a head unit that has both inbuilt DAB and a
USB port, and I didn't even think that USB Drive size would be an
issue.

I've got an old 40G 2.5" drive in a USB enclosure that I was thinking
of putting in the glove compartment, then taking the lead out the back
of the GC and then round into the back of the head unit.

Note, I'm NOT talking about what I'd call a USB thumb drive - this is
an old laptop drive.

From your research, do you foresee any problems with this setup?

Cheers

shug