Posted to rec.audio.pro
Reid Rejsa

Default Broadcast vs. DVD peak levels

Hi All,

For the live broadcast mixing I do, the engineers at the station have
limited the control room audio to around +6VU (based on 0VU=-20 dbfs) so
peaks are allowed up to -14 dbfs. One engineer I know who does a lot of
broadcast TV spot mixing limits his audio to -9 dbfs to avoid triggering
broadcast limiters. My question to those of you who do a lot of DVD
video mixing is: how high do you all let your peak levels go when mixing
an audio for video project that's going to DVD? Do you use the full
dynamic range up to 0 dbfs, or limit it to some lower value?

Thanks,

Reid