Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default DAC Differences

On Dec 3, 7:51*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Audio_Empire" wrote in message

Since my opinion of the CDP-101 is essentially the same as yours, and
since someone else also made a similar observation about the CDP-101's
sound and add to that the fact that it was reviewed by several magazines
at the time as being of an audio quality that did not bode well for the
future of CD as an audiophile format, I'd say that the preponderance of
evidence suggests that the Sony CDP-101 was not a very good-sounding
player. I'm not sure what it says about the two posters to this NG who
insist that the CDP-101 sounds fine.

It says that at least one of them actually tested it in accordance with the
formal definition of a test, which means a dreict comparision to a reliable
standard. My comparisons involved comparison to the source file that was
used to burn the CD being listened to via the CDP 101.

FWIW the DBTs that were published in Stereo Review agree with me. To the
best of my knowlege every other review ever published was based on sighted
evaluations.

There was a lot of hysteria about digital when CD players first came out,
some of which is yet to be dispelled.

There were no DBTs published in Stereo Review about the CDP 101. In
fact there were never any DBTs published in Stereo Review of any CD
players. To the best of my recollection Stereo Review didn't do DBTs
at all for any of their product reviews. We also know that the folks
at Stereo Review had an obvious same sound bias when it came to CD
players as well as any form of amplification. They had a history of
making erroneous claims in their reviews of tube gear that the
products were audibly indistinguishable from any other gear.

Where can I find the "formal" definition of a "test?" Seems the
definitions I find in various dictionaries don't seem to jive with
your "formal" defenition. Never knew Websters was so "informal."

There certainly was a lot of hysteria about digital back then. Some of
which has yet to be dispelled. "Perfect sound forever" comes to mind.
It's amazing how much digital technology has advanced since then given
it's state of perfection at the time.