Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default DAC Differences

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
On 11/24/2012 2:57 AM, Arny Krueger wrote:
"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

I had a chance recently to audition, in my own system, the original
Sony
CDP-101 CD player. Boy is it god-awful sounding! Screachy highs, no
soundstage, in other words, downright fatiguing to listen to. It is,
however, built like a tank.

**I keep a CDP101 for people who imagine that all CD players sound the
same. It was, indeed, a shocker.

Absolute proof some people don't know how to maintain legacy equipment so
that it works and sounds as good as new.

**Fortunately, my business is service to audio equipment. I have the
service data, the techniques and test equipment to keep old CD players
(and most other audio equipment) meeting their original specs for many
years. Over the years, I've repaired several dozen CDP101 players. As a
consequence, I have built up a reasonable stock of the odd-ball parts
required for this model.

I have a CDP 101 that meets original spec and sounds great!

**I have a CDP101 that meets it's original specs (I use Sony test discs
and Pierre Verany test discs to verify Red Book performance) and it does
not approach the sound of a quality player like the Marantz CD80.

Since every sound quality problem has a measurable flaw at the bottom of it,
and since you claim that you have done thorough measurements of both
players, please explain your subjective opinons with the objective data that
you have.

Since I have my own data, we'll see exactly how well you restored the CDP
101!