Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default DAC Differences

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

I had a chance recently to audition, in my own system, the original Sony
CDP-101 CD player. Boy is it god-awful sounding! Screachy highs, no
soundstage, in other words, downright fatiguing to listen to. It is,
however, built like a tank.

**I keep a CDP101 for people who imagine that all CD players sound the
same. It was, indeed, a shocker.

Absolute proof some people don't know how to maintain legacy equipment so
that it works and sounds as good as new.

I have a CDP 101 that meets original spec and sounds great! This did not
happen by osmosis. The major age-dependent degradation of the CDP 101 is
that it starts subtly losing the ability to track seemingly good CDs due to
degradation of specific proprietary Sony chips. This shows up on the bench,
but many non-critical listeners miss it.