Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default DAC Differences

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Audio_Empire" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

Why did the Marantz sound better than the HK? Dunno.

I don't know either.

To understand it, I'd

(1) Run enough tech tests so that I knew what the measureable differences
in
the actual samples were, including tracking, error recovery and
concealment.

(2) Do one or more time synched, level matched, bias controlled listening
test.

Until you do all of the above, its like hitting a ball out of the park in
baseball, and then failing to circle the bases and physically touch every
one.

If you don't touch all the bases, there is no home run.

It's too bad that double-blind or ABX tests are so difficult to arrange.

Often proper DBTs are every easy to arrange. A DBT comparing DACs would be
an example of one of the easier tests to set up.

I disagree. You would have to gather a group of listeners, you would
have to have some way of switching between samples where the operator
could not not be seen by the listeners, and vice versa (to eliminate the
possibility of body language cues being inadvertently given to the
listeners by the operator), and you would have to make sure that the
outputs of both DUTs were equal to within a fraction of a dB. I would
say that it is a less than casual or convenient undertaking.