Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default DAC Differences

In article ,
Trevor Wilson wrote:

On 11/21/2012 1:43 PM, Arny Krueger wrote:
"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

Why did the Marantz sound better than the HK? Dunno.

I don't know either.

To understand it, I'd

(1) Run enough tech tests so that I knew what the measureable differences in
the actual samples were, including tracking, error recovery and concealment.

**Whilst I did not perform a comprehensive range of tests, I did perform
some rudimentary ones (THD, S/N, FR, et al). No audibly significant
issues were uncovered in either machine.

(2) Do one or more time synched, level matched, bias controlled listening
test.

**Done.

Until you do all of the above, its like hitting a ball out of the park in
baseball, and then failing to circle the bases and physically touch every
one.

If you don't touch all the bases, there is no home run.

**Fair point. Nonetheless, the Marantz CD80 was a real surprise. Since
that time, I've tested a few other machines in the same set-up. None
have provided the superior qualities noted in the Marantz.

That is interesting, given that 20 year-old DAC technology was still
pretty primitive. I don't doubt you though. I'm sure you hear what you
say you hear.

I had a chance recently to audition, in my own system, the original Sony
CDP-101 CD player. Boy is it god-awful sounding! Screachy highs, no
soundstage, in other words, downright fatiguing to listen to. It is,
however, built like a tank. Now I remember why I bought the little
Magnavox CD-100 instead. It was only 14-bit but it sounded so much
better than any of the first generation Japanese players. Still does. I
still have mine and although it's not in my system any more, I pulled it
out to compare it to the Sony CDP-101. It's not the last word in
resolution any more, but it still sounds just fine, thank you. Very
listenable. If I had a vacation home, I wouldn't hesitate to build a
small system around it (although, on second thought, a vacation home
system would be better served by an iPod or a computer-based music
system).