Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default The truth about accuracy of CD v. LP

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 12 Mar 2006 18:55:55 GMT, wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 11 Mar 2006 18:58:53 GMT, Steven Sullivan wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
to 'perfect' by any reasonable standard.

But then there are the digiphiles that i suspect you think are getting
it wrong. forgot about them? I don't know any "vinylphiles' painting
their LPs green. There are didgphiles buying some very expensive gear
like belt drive tubed CD players. Do you think those digphiles are
"getting it right?"

They're not digiphiles, they're audiophools, there's a difference.
Real digiphiles know that none of the above do anything good to the
sound of CDs.

Moroever, as Scott conveniently fails to mention, those audiofools are in
almost every instance trying to get CDs to sound more like their beloved
*vinyl*.

Indeed. I have often wondered what technically inept and utterly
cynical clown ever came up with the idea of a belt-drive CD player,
and of increasing the output impedance by sticking a cathode follower
on the end of the existing output stage.

Why wonder when you can always ask the designer?

It's what's called a rhetorical question, Scott.

i always thought questions rhetorical or not ended in a question mark.
But really, why not ask the designer?

Of course, the real joke is that what's generally acknowledged as the
worlds's best turntable, the Rockport Sirius III, is direct drive! :-)

How is that a joke even if it were true?

It's a joke because the only reason for the existence of the
technically inept belt-drive CD player is the perception amongst many
audiophiles that belt-drive vinyl TTs are best.

You know this how? It seems clear you haen't asked the esigner why a
belt was used. Seems like yo are building your position on pure
prejudice.

Of course, different
engineeering principles apply when designing equipment to replay
constant angular velocity discs such as LPs, than for constant linear
velocity discs such as CDs.

That makes sense.

Naturally, Scott then says that he doesn't think the Sirius actually
is the best, he prefers the Forsell.

Stewart, ever do a blind comparison between the Forsell and the
Rockport? Until you have we don't know that your biases and only your
biases are not behind your opinions on the merits o the two tables.

As is the case for you, of course.

Wrong. As usual.

I prefer CD.

Old news. not relevant.

For a vinyl spinner,
there are too many variables to say which is technically superior -
some would argue against linear tracking arms, for starters.

I for one don't worry so much about what should win on paper. that is
why I prefer to listen to make up my mind.

How utterly predictable....

Given the fact that I picked the Forsell before I knew you existed this
looks like a claim of the paranormal. Better call Randi.

The point is that you will always pick something other than that which
is generally acknowledged to be the best.

That is a silly point. I pick what i pick based on what I hear whether
it is a popular choice or not. Excuse me for being an indpendant
thinker. I suppose you would alter your preference so as to stay in
line with the status quo? I think if that is where you are coming from
it is more than fair to say your claim about the Rockport s based on
biases and not on any meaningful listening experience. And how is the
Rockport generally acknowledged to be the best? Where is your survey?
And what does that matter?

One can only presume that
this is some kind of bid for aesthetic superiority - but whatever.

I suppose if one thinks they already know it all they can make all
kinds of ridiculous narrow minded presumptions. Don't let the facts get
in the way whatever you do.

Scott