Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

Default The truth about accuracy of CD v. LP

On 12 Mar 2006 18:56:53 GMT, Jenn wrote:

To be fair, most belt-drive TT fans, at ones who I know, argue that BD
is the most cost efficient way to get good sound. The argument isn't
that BD is the ONLY way to get good sound. They would argue that it
costs $60-some-thousand to get the Rockport sound in DD, but excellent
TT sound can be had for far less with BD. Or looking at it another way,
to get a DD that sounds as good as my $1000 (TT, arm, cartridge) BD
Clearaudio would cost much more than $1000. It's the old Goldmund vs.
VPI TNT (for example) argument.

That's probably true, as the motor is of necessity much more
expensive. Historically, only the huge resources of the big Japanese
corporations have been able to manufacture high quality DD decks at
reasonable prices, such as the old Technics SP-10 and several Denon
tables. The classic Tehnics 'DJ' deck is of course still going strong
at a midrange price, but not many would grant it 'audiophile' status.

Otherwise, it's a really exotic technogy, the Goldmund and Rockport
examples being the best known. Even at that stratospheric level, the
argument still rages, as the Goldmund Reference table was produced
using both technologies at different times.