Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

Default The truth about accuracy of CD v. LP

On 12 Mar 2006 15:44:42 GMT, MD wrote:

For those of you who believe CD is better than LP I would like to know
what your analog and digital gear is.

http://www.lurcher.org/ukra/stewart_p/stewart_p.html

The vinyl rig cost about five times the price of the CD player.

Why - because I used to prefer CD to LP. Then I got a better cartridge
and in every case where I have the same LP/CD I like the CD. And in
every case where I have a remastered version of both I like the LP
better. The common difference is openness and crisper highs.

That would be your personal preference, but I find that CDs generally
have more ambience and smoother treble.

(Having
said that I do believe that it is possible that if I had better digital
equip I could change my mind.

Doubtful, as most modern players sound the same.

I also believe that CDs that use better
technology than standard red book 44.1khz/16 bit might also sound better
than LP.)

*All* CDs are 16/44. There remains considerable doubt that the
'hi-res' formats such as DVD-A have any real sonic advantage over
plain Jane CD, due to the limitations of the masters.

I also wonder if those who like CDs better also prefer solid state over
tubes?

Yes, for the same reasons of lower distortion, superior bass and wider
dynamic range.