Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Sprout[_2_] Tim Sprout[_2_] is offline

Default Getting more punch from heavily distorted guitars?

On 1/31/2018 4:01 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
wrote:

You don't have to use amp sims any more, at least not with VST.
There is a free convolution VST - PULSE by Rosen Digital Audio -
and you load up an impulse response of your favorite amp and go.

I bought a Kemper Profiler which "profiles" the sound coming from a
mic in front of an amp.Â* They are REALLY, REALLY accurate.Â* There are
tons of A?B comparisons to judge for yourself.Â* It ain't cheap at
$1700, but I haven't mic'ed an AMP since it arrived last spring.

Ayup. I know (colloquially) multiple users of them.

Many of theÂ* Michael Britt profiles are free with it...Stunning.Â* And
it had bass amp profiles, and dozens of pedals, CRAZY.Â* Where it
departs from amp sims are in the clean sounds.

Which just.... there's no good reason for that. For tracking, just find a good Twin impulse response - you're 90% of the way there.

They have the depth
and chime of real amps.Â* The sounds are taken from real amps/

Thanks for this. My Twin died during my last session (I thought it might actually catch fire). I then mic'd a fairly clean sounding amp. I used a Pulse Twin IR on those tracks, and got a lot of the Twin sound back.

Tim Sprout