Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Audio and "Special Problems"

Audio_Empire wrote:
I was talking to a young audiophile friend of mine on the phone the
other day, and it occurred to me that many of his attitudes and
misconceptions are the products of a lifetime of reading high-end
audio rags and drinking the cool-aid that is the high-end
manufacturers' endless advertising hype.

Yes yes, we know all that George, and you keep saying it over and over. The
main problem is that most of them don't have a clue as to what causes the
sound that we hear in a room. They have been talked into the "accuracy"
theory of reproduction, so they sit 6 ft away from some monstrosity speaker
aimed at their faces and when it doesn't sound right they are told it is
bacause they haven't spent enough yet on cables made to get all of the
frequencies to the other end at the same time, or speakers that need to be
phase aligned, or drivers that aren't light enough, or there isn't enough
damping in the room, or any of a litany of misguided ideas about sound that
make me cringe.

This will continue until they learn something about the differences between
live sound and "hi-fi." How live music puts sound into a room vs how "hi-fi"
does it. I have spoken about this many times here, but no one quite gets it.

See me after class.

Gary Eickmeier