Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default need help to set up a M-Audio Audiophile 2496

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 7/22/2009 12:13 PM Peter Larsen spake thus:

Bernard wrote:

I now got a better RIAA preamp with higher output, and all seemed
OK... except that I now have a vinyl record that gives too high
output, and I have problem recording/digitizing it.

You then have to reduce the signal level before the signal enters the
soundcard. Otherwise the sound card will clip. A simple 10 dB
attenuator will do, say 10 kOhm in series and 5 kOhm to ground in a
small plastic box.

I'd say better yet would be an adjustable attenuator, which is just a
potentiometer across the output of the preamp with the wiper connected
to the input of the sound card. This is what I use between my sound
card and my amplifier (Technics) which produces a slightly too-high
signal. I use a 50K pot.

There are many ways to do things, but you really should not go higher than
10 kOhm ... otherwise the cable capacity between box and sound card begins
to matter too much. The disadvantages of an adjustable record level in this
context are - with my work process - a lot larger than the advantages.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen