Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default need help to set up a M-Audio Audiophile 2496

Bernard wrote:
But no... the original levels were much lower (about -8 dB at the
peaks). That file that I sent as example of has been processed
through the 'audacity' amplifier (+7 dB if I recall well), this is
why I used the word 'ampl' in the filename. Do you wish to see the
original unprocessed file ?

http://www/teaser.fr/~bdebreil/musiq...art_noampl.wav

That looks exactly right. I don't see anything wrong with that recording.

I sometimes visually scan a disc to see where the highest levels are
likely recorded, and then I set the recording level given that likely
peak. That sometimes lets me get a big higher level recording without
fear of clipping. But your example seems perfectly acceptable. I don't
know what you are complaining about? Again, DO NOT compare the
levels you get from a vinyl disc from anything recorded on a modern CD.