Posted to rec.audio.pro
Stephan Flock

Default a/d converter

Scott,

with all due respect, I don't think it is justified to say the ADI-2 is a
big step down from the AD-124.

Both units have their own special features (like DRE and SNS for the Prism,
SteadyClock PLL and 96/192 kHz for the RME).

If you compare the technical specs of the a/d for instance, the AD-124
manual says -120dBFS unweighted idle noise, whereas the ADI-2 has -110dBFS.
But THD+N is -98dB for the Prism (@ 1kHz, -1dBFS), and -104dB for the
ADI-2.

The Prism manual doesn't state anything about the unit's analogue
performance when synced externally, possibly with jittery clocks - maybe for
good reason?

If you haven't listened to an ADI-2 with SteadyClock jitter reduction yet,
it might well be an ear-opener to do so. You can contact me, if you want me
to arrange something for you.

Kind regards,
Stephan Flock
RME