hev

"Michael" wrote in message
In article 1109355256.7b4ddb60f579bb554367d58cc4d74907@teran ews,
says...
Call me crazy, but I'm not even sure I totally believe in copyright
laws. I have conceptual problems with people "owning" ideas or
intangible things like chord progressions or voicings in a specific song
or arrangement. Music is so derivative anyway I feel noone can claim
the complete right of ownership to a recording or composition because so
much in any recording or composition is stolen from hundreds of other
recordings or compositions.

Call me crazy, but I'm not sure I totally believe in patent laws.
I have conceptual problems with people "owning" ideas. Patents are
so derivitive anyway. Why should we pay to see a movie? Why should
we pay to rent a book? Directors can make their money off teaching,
performing(?), just like writers. Why isn't ciruit design free? It's
just artwork, right?

I guess I feel musicians should make their money from teaching,
performing, working as technicians/engineers, or just working regular
jobs. So the "music industry" dying doesn't seem a big deal to me. I
think CDs should cost money to pay for the packaging and distribution
costs, but the royalties are a weird thing.

Musicians make music. TEACHERS teach, ENGINEERS engineer, etc.
Just because technology has made it easy to steal a musician's work
(and now film-makers as well) doesn't make it RIGHT!

Neither is the ridiculous way the music and film industry has made their
money. $19.99 for a CD?!? Please. The true crimes were commited AGAINST the
public in the first place. This is just sweet justice.

Times are changing Michael. You need to start looking at the internet like a
radio that people are "taping" things off of. Royalty might be the way of
the future on the internet. Why not just add a buck of tax to our internet
connections and then have a royalty based system for all art forms to enjoy?

--
-hev
remove "your opinion" to find me: