Paul Stamler

"TCS" wrote in message
On 5 Jan 2005 09:51:33 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:
TCS wrote:

For a really amusing case, look at the MIT speaker cables, which actually
have lumped-sum reactances in metal boxes at each end of the cable. In

the
case of digital cables about all you can do is to induce phase noise

(which
is still audible in a lot of poorly designed DACs) or cause errors (which
many of the fancy high-end digital cables do).

Check some of the high end digital cables and you'll find they aren't

anything
even approaching 75 ohms in a lot of cases....
--scott

OK. I agree with everything you said there. Not only are expensive

digital
cables often defective, but so are expensive analog cables. It isn't easy
making a cable so amazingly mediocre that it muffles high audio

frequencies
but that's exactly what a "warm sounding" cable is. I'd rather buy

speakers
that aren't shrill than muffle them with crap cables.

Ah, but that wouldn't be the Audiophile Way. The Audiophile Way would be to
muffle the highs with a carefully-chosen cable so you can use the speakers
you just bought that have fantastic stereo imaging and bizarrely unbalanced,
shrieky tonal balance. The "imaging is everything" school of audiophilia has
been responsible for a lot of the nonsense in the audiophile world.

Peace,
Paul