TCS

On 5 Jan 2005 09:51:33 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:
TCS wrote:

Yes. You said you could make a defective cable that would "sound different".
I pointed out that it is irrelevent.

No, that's not irrelevant at all, because MANY of the fancy expensive cables
out there are in fact deliberately defective and specifically built to cause
aberrations that make them sound different.

For a really amusing case, look at the MIT speaker cables, which actually
have lumped-sum reactances in metal boxes at each end of the cable. In the
case of digital cables about all you can do is to induce phase noise (which
is still audible in a lot of poorly designed DACs) or cause errors (which
many of the fancy high-end digital cables do).

Check some of the high end digital cables and you'll find they aren't anything
even approaching 75 ohms in a lot of cases....
--scott

OK. I agree with everything you said there. Not only are expensive digital
cables often defective, but so are expensive analog cables. It isn't easy
making a cable so amazingly mediocre that it muffles high audio frequencies
but that's exactly what a "warm sounding" cable is. I'd rather buy speakers
that aren't shrill than muffle them with crap cables.