Mike Rivers

Default Sound cards

In article writes:

I've compared the soundblaster to
the other cards (Edirol, M-audio) and don't see much of a difference
at all.

There's very little difference in the way the published specifications
read. There's some difference in the way they work internally, and how
they interface to the analog world.

The design of the drivers and the audio routing/mixing application
that's bundled with the card is somewhat dependent on the intended
application of the card. SoundBlasters are designed for games and
other entertainment applications, with recording taking the back seat.
The Edirol, M-Audio (and Echo and Lynx and Digital Audio Labs, and
Aardvark, etc.) are designed for recording as their primary
application. The difference may not be immediately apparent, but it
will pay off in the long run.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )