Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

Default New Telefunkens

hank alrich wrote:
Bill Graham wrote:

hank alrich wrote:
Bill Graham wrote:

hank alrich wrote:
Bill Graham wrote:

mcp6453 wrote:
How do the new Telefunken mics, such as the U47 with a VF14k,
compare with their originals? Are the Telefunken recreations any
better than the knock offs, like Wunder, Peluso, and a host of
others? The new U47 is $9000.

The obvious question is, is it 100 times better than the $90
microphones on the market? And, how do you build a $9000
microphone that costs 100 times as much as the ones you can
build for $90? Are you sure you aren't buying jewlery? Like what
you buy when you buy a $9000 watch? It won't keep time 100 times
better than the $90 watch, but it will be encrusted with
diamonds and rubies. Will the performers sing better when using
it?

Read your next sentence and tell me what the hell you think you're
doing offering adivice about mics in this forum?

I am not a pro audio guy.

That's for sure.

But my common sense tells me to be very suspicious of any
microphone that costs more than about $500.

Common sense tells me you know nothing at all about mics above
five hundred bucks.

I think that, like guitars, you don't gain much above $500.

And now I got a trumpet player telling me how much I shouldn't
have spent on my guitar.

Listen, Bill, you have NO idea what's out there in the way of
good guitars. I mean _no idea at all_.

(I hope you didn't spend more than a hundred bucks on your
trumpet.)

What is the best mic you have ever used? Be honest here.

When you have subjected your $9000 mike to the double blind test
that I described in the above post, then I will give your "pro"
status some credibility, but at 75 I have seen a hell of a lot of
placebo effects and had them illustrated to me enough times that my
nose is sore.

Argument by bull****. Your nose is sore becuase you keep sticking
your head up your ass.

Answer the question: "What is the best mic you have ever used? Be
honest here."

Its
significant to me that the
French picked their wines as the best in the world for years until
the Japanese came along with a double blind test that showed that
California wines were just as good, if not better. When neither the
judges nor the proctors know what the test is all about, then its
"double blind". And these tests have taught the world a hell of a
lot in my experience. Oh, I wouldn't spend more that $500 for a
mike for regular stage performances that I use them for. If you are
doing something really unusual, like miking hummingbirds in a gale,
well, that's different. But $9000? Give me a break!

I repeat, you do not know **** about mics, and you know less about
guitars. Engineer yourself some humility if you can find the raw
materials. If you cannot do that you are the troll others have
tagged.

And who are you? Why should I give you the right to tell me what I
know about Mikes, Horns, or guitars? How many miles have you walked
in my shoes? If you disagree with anything I say, then refute it.
But try to avoid words like "ass", and "bull****" and try to stick
to the facts. Have you ever taken part in a double blind test? Can
you tell the difference between a $500 microphone and a $9000 one?
And, if you can't, what business do you have spending the other
$8500? Would you be spending someone else's money? These are all
questions I can't answer about you, because I don't know you. Unlike
you, who seems to know everything about me. Or, at least, you are
quite willing to talk like you know everything about me.

Answer the question: "What is the best mic you have ever used? Be
honest here."

You're giving advice about mics. What have you used?

I don't believe I have ever used a mike thqt cost more than $500, and even
then, I had the thought, far in the back of my mind, that I could have
gotten the same value for less money. The mike I use most often right now is
my Audio Technica PRO 35 R, which is an instrument condenser that clips on
the edge of my horn and looks down its throat. I like it because in is
reliable, has good output, a broad frequency response (too broad, actually)
cannot be overdriven by my horn at its loudest, and only costs about $125.
It is also small enough so that it doesn't interfere noticeably with the
straight, unmiked sound that eminates from the horn. It just picks it up so
that it can be digitized, screwed with, amplified, and added to the natural
sound. With the added interest that doing such a thing can give. (It sounds
like I've got two or three other horn players standing next to me.)