Posted to rec.audio.high-end
allen allen is offline

Default The future of "high end" audio

On 6 Dec 2013 00:05:18 GMT, Audio_Empire
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 6:01:26 AM UTC-8, Arny Krueger wrote:

snip

Techincally speaking there are no audible techical deficiencies such as
noise and distortion in the better iPod-like devices. They measure as well
if not better than a good stereo receiver driven by a good CD player.

I'd like to see some some proof of that assertion, please? And even if what you say
were true, what good would all of those "great specs" be when the youngsters
attached to them have filled them with 32 or 64 KBpS MP3s of terrible-sounding
(even on a good system) pop recordings?

I'm not Arny.

Stereophile 2003:

"The iPod's measured behavior is better than many CD players—ironic,
considering that most of the time it will be used to play MP3 and AAC
files, which will not immediately benefit from such good performance.
But if you're willing to trade off maximum playing time against the
ability to play uncompressed AIFF or WAV files, the iPod will do an
excellent job of decoding them. Excellent, cost-effective audio
engineering from an unexpected source.—John Atkinson"

http://www.stereophile.com/content/a...r-measurements

And your 32-64Kbps MP3 reference is a straw man if I ever read
one...who listens to MP3s encoded at such a ridiculous bit rate..?