John LeBlanc

Default (OT)..... What Would You Do With $87 Billion Dollars??

I know I said I wasn't going to participate any further, but I changed my mind.
Congratulations, Justin, your post below proves a point I made earlier:

"Justin Ulysses Morse" wrote in message
Blind Joni wrote:

So this means that the government giving people money makes them not poor
anymore? Please explain this some.

I hope this example isn't too esoteric for you: The government pays
for the construction and staffing of a building where young people are
sent to be taught communication, analytic, and social skills that will
prepare them for a more productive and self-sufficient place in the
workforce and in society as a whole. Ideally, this Orwellian
institution teaches these kids how to make their own way, so they don't
end up a burden on the system through government assistance or
incarceration. Just how well it works is dependent in large part on
the resources (financial and otherwise) devoted to this far-fetched
plan.

What a great ****ing idea! Ever hear of Job Corps? http://www.jobcorps.org/
Problem is, your brilliant idea is not dependent on the resources thrown at it;
it is totally dependent on people actually showing up to your Orwellian
institution to learn a trade and let the federal government help them get a job.
And they will. At ****ing gunpoint.

You don't get it.

We have public schools some kids won't attend. We have trade schools some kids
won't attend. We already have federally funded job training they won't attend.
Sure, some show up, most don't. Why? Because you can't make people want to
better themselves if they don't want to. It doesn't work.

No, it doesn't make any sense to me either why a person will be handed a chance
at straightening out their situation and refuse to accept it. But it happens in
every city of this nation every day. Why do you suppose that is? (Hint: they
don't want to.)

I am so amused by the numbers of people who really believe you can throw money
at poverty and fix the problem. Forty years later, what do we have? More
homeless, illiterate poor people. But we're throwing a ****pot of money at the
problem, yet we still have the problem.

Know what is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over
again expecting a different outcome.

Poverty isn't caused by lack of money in the same way a sneeze isn't a cold. The
lack of money is a symptom of the way a person thinks, his mindset. Untie that
knot and you can fix the problem. Here's an idea that can't be as stupid as
throwing money at the problem (which is already demonstrated to be a collossal
failure): force everyone to listen to Earl Nightingale's "Lead the Field" five
times in a row.

In New Orleans I've witnessed the same thing I have here in Houston: Vietnamese
families come to this country with nothing -- and I mean nothing -- not even
able to speak the English language. Yet, a couple of years later you see some of
these people owning their own grocery store, prospering, contributing. Now how
the **** does something like that happen? Hint: they want it more than life
itself to succeed, and they find a way to get it done. Because it can be done
when you have a burning desire to succeed. Without the desire, it cannot happen.

It's funny, really. If George W. Bush trotted into r.a.p. and began
pontificating about how best to engineer a session, he'd be run out on a rail.
Yet so many of you armchair presidents and assorted statesmen think you can put
on your asshat and know better how to run this country, think you have Bush all
figgered out. Apparently using your Superman x-ray vision glasses you see right
through that conservative ****-the-poor pay-off-our-supporters facade. Where
were you clear thinkers when Clinton was ****ing this nation in much the same
way he was ****ing Ms. Lewinsky? Or does that not count because he was a liberal
Democrat? Or it doesn't count because the jobless ratings were low while he was
****ing on the chance to get bin Laden on a silver platter, all the while
gutting the military and departments that provide security for this nation so
that minor irritations like 9/11 won't happen?

A shame this world is going to hell in a handbasket and we have, right here in
r.a.p. (or substitute some other newsgroup, it happens everywhere) the sum total
of the crystal clear thinking and incredibly well informed genius necessary to
fix it. Equally a shame that you have better intel and insight on world affairs
than the Oval Office, and the confidence in your conviction that the rest of the
world can go to hell, we'll spend our 87 billion right here in the USA. Hey,
some of you brilliant liberal thinkers wanted a "global community". Welcome to
the new world, gentleman, where your tax dollars get spread far and wide. Why
bitch about it now?

While you're spending your life energy hating your strawman Bush -- and every
other Republican fantasy your liberal brethren and most every college has
managed to get you to believe -- bitching and moaning and making all sorts of
unqualified, unsubstantiated accusations that fit your view of things, if you
believe the world is really ****ed up and you've got all the answers, don't tell
us about the labor pains, show us the baby.

John