Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Bi-wiring?

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 07:24:50 -0800, ST wrote
(in article ):

[quoted text deleted -- deb]

[Moderator's note: All of you need to start doing a much better job of
snipping quoted text that does not directly relate to your response,
else we will start rejecting wholesale any posts that fail to do it.
-- deb ]

I am music lover and would like to share observation. I can't tell any
difference whatsoever nor any of my so called audiophile friends. Of
course I didn't tell them I am doing any blind test. The only aspect
of bi-wiring that I hope someone can reply is:-

1) When the woofer moves the coils suppose to generate electricity and
it suppose reverse to the amplifier or get filtered or something like
that. So when we connect the tweeter and subwoofer or woofer won't
this little current affect the tweeter?

No. First of all, the back EMF (as this voltage is called) is quite small.
Secondly, ostensibly, there is a capacitor in series with both the tweeter
and the midrange (if any). The size of the capacitor is calculated to block
frequencies below a certain maximum. The purpose of this is to keep low
frequency energy (where the power is) from entering the smaller speakers
which, generally speaking, cannot handle as much power as the low frequency
driver. The second purpose in keeping low frequencies out of the tweeter is
to avoid intermodulation distortion by not letting the small tweeter
diaphragm move in response to a frequency range over which it can move, but
over which it is incapable of producing any sound. By definition, this
capacitor will keep back EMF out of the tweeter as well because the back EMF
is also at a frequency below the crossover point.

2) By bi-wiring there's no "disturbance" in current to tweeter.

Is this possible?

Nope. Electrically, they are the same point because they are tied together at
the amplifier output terminals. It really doesn't matter whether you tie the
tweeter to the amp at the amplifier terminals using two runs of speaker
cable, or at the speaker itself using the applied straps between the woofer
terminals and the tweeter terminals, it's the same. As I said, there would be
no disturbance to the tweeter anyway because that's what the crossover
network is for.

Regards,
Chelvam