Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Bi-wiring?

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:13:15 -0800, MiNe 109 wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
Sonnova wrote:

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 07:16:01 -0800, Greg Wormald wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
Andrew Barss wrote:

I have a pair of B&W DM602 S3 speakers, and just got an Onkyo
TX-SR706 receiver. Thr msnual for the latter suggests bi-wiring
(specifically, connecting the front L/R terminals to one set of
terminals on the speakers, and connecting the rear L/R receiver
terminals to the other set of speaker terminals). So does the B&W website
(in general, not specifically for these speakers).

Is there any real advantage to doing this?

-- Andy Barss

Bi-wiring involves separating the tweeters and woofers, and driving each
pair with separate wires from the same amplifier outputs.
Bi-amping does the same but adds a separate amplifier for each pair.
Depending on your ears, the speakers, how well the amp handles the whole
thing, etc., it may be very worthwhile or give almost no change
whatsoever.
I tri-wired my Linn Kaber speakers and immediately noticed a positive
change, so great I didn't even want to undo the changes just to check.
All I can really suggest is give it a try. As long as your speaker
cables are not too expensive this is easy (and cheap) to do.

A total waste of time. If you did a double blind test of your Kabers
tri-wired and single-cable wired, I'll guarantee you that neither you nor
anyone else would be able to detect the slightest difference.

Never noticed a difference with my Kabers, even when adding amps. Going
active, OTOH, was major.

Stephen

You mean active crossovers? Like between the pre-amp and the power amp(s)?