Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

Default Bi-wiring?

wrote in message ...
On 4 Mar, 09:16, " wrote:
Please note the interpolations.

Please forgive the top-posting.

On Mar 4, 10:16 am, Greg Wormald wrote:

Bi-wiring involves separating the tweeters and woofers, and driving
each
pair with separate wires from the same amplifier outputs.
Bi-amping does the same but adds a separate amplifier for each pair.
Depending on your ears, the speakers, how well the amp handles the
whole
thing, etc., it may be very worthwhile or give almost no change
whatsoever.

Assuming that the connection(s) at the speaker are sufficiently rugged
and the speaker cables are sufficiently thick relative to their length
and the cable connectors are properly installed the result should be
"no change whatsoever".

I tri-wired my Linn Kaber speakers and immediately noticed a positive
change, so great I didn't even want to undo the changes just to check.
All I can really suggest is give it a try. As long as your speaker
cables are not too expensive this is easy (and cheap) to do.

I had the same phenomenon with a pair of AR3a speakers. Until I
fabricated two drilled jumpers from soft copper sheeting to replace
the little bits of OEM wire on the terminal - and - went up two
standard gauges on the speaker cables from 16ga. stranded to 12ga.
stranded. Soldered lugs that were clamped vs. banana-plugs, clamps
snugged a bit beyond hand-tight and so forth and there was no
discernable difference.

Unless the laws of physics have been repealed recently, bi-wiring and
mono-wiring should make no discernable difference assuming proper
gauge wire and truly secure connections in the very first place.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

For real? Based on the laws of physics there should be no measurable
differences? The output of both will be identical in every measurable
parameter? That surprises me. Which specific laws of physics are you
thinking of and how do they apply here?

Superposition.
S.

--