Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default What is a 4X250F?

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:54:52 -0700, diecasthoop
wrote:

I have a few of these I got in a box of tubes. What are they used for?
They are strange looking guys. Any of Yall need any?

This family was very common for VHF transmitter finals
in point-to-point service when I was in the Army. Track24
era, anyone? PCM was just coming into use; digital audio
was considered so secure that it didn't need to be
manipulated at all; raw transmissions were considered
secure.

And even in that era, only a captured American receiver
could have made any sense of even frequency-division-multiplexed
telephone signals.

You're making me feel old. OTOH, what doesn't?

Some VHF ham guy will likely want your box of tubes. Put
'em in a visible spot, and expect your reward in Heaven.

All good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"I would much rather be able to say it sounds like such and such, but
when it's not obvious distortion and/or noise, when the specs are really
good for those factors and IM and slew rate and a host of other stuff I
probably can't bring to consciousness right now, yet one preamp lets me
hear as if the source is alive and right there, and the next one makes
me feel as if I'm listening to the equivalent of a very detailed
cardboard Elvis, I don't know what words to offer that might help. But
hell, I'm willing to try. Everything we might like to know isn't known
yet, and through history people have come up with ways to measure stuff
that previously went unmeasured." - Hank Alrich 07 May 2005