Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

Default Teflon Film Tin Foil capacitors

Eeyore said:

You're pathetic. A tribute to audiophoolery.

Al 's a happy tinkerer.
With all respect for your status as a pro designer (so am I, in a
smaller and different way), I'm afraid you've lost that ability
somewhere along the way............

I think you'd be mistaken there !

I sure hope so.

I love that kind of tinkering that ( for example ) reduces THD to vanishingly
small levels such as 0.00x %. It's a technical and intellectual challenge and I
don't have to use brute force global nfb to do it either !

That's *your* challenge.
Al's challenge is to get something working that satisfies him.
MyFi, remember?

Of course I don't 'tinker' as such, apart maybe from on the simulation package.
Almost all of it is pure science. Very satisfying it is too to see it work as
per the theory.

So can tinkering with tubes be.

It's also nice to hear ppl praise one's products to because they like the way
they sound. :-)

I know the feeling ;-)

Nevertheless, I'm somewhere between worlds I think.
On the one side, I am a professional designer, striving for high
accuracy at loud levels with solid state designs.
On the other side, I am a hobbyist, and I confess to have tried using
different kinds of capacitors in my hobby amps as well.
The (single) blind test I once performed, showed me no difference
between cheap Wimas and expensive Mundorfs.

And yet, I put in those Mundorfs, just because I liked them!
I know all the arguments as to why it shouldn't matter, I have the
results of my blind test, but I still dervive more pleasure from
knowing the Mundorfs are in there.
Don't you think Al *knows* that his new caps don't do things
differently?
He doesn't care, cuz it makes him a happer man.

I can understand both the scientific approach, and the hobbyist
approach. I have respect for both.

And I certainly have respect for Al, doing what he is doing.
Being a whiplash patient myself, I all too well understand his
comments about having enough energy left to do something.

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".