Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Teflon Film Tin Foil capacitors

"Bob H." wrote:

If you prefer to sit in the dark, listening to test tones with your
perfect 0 percent distortion amp driving 6 way speakers (to get every
bit of that frequency response), more power to you.

I don't though ! Indeed my favourite music is a live performance.

This used to be a hobbyist site, where all sorts of speakers and tube
topoligies were discussed, mostly with a bit of dignity and respect.
It seems to have degraded to a bunch of knee-jerk engineering
narrow-minded snipers, hell-bent on telling us what couldn't possibly
be good for audio. I don't recall ever hearing so much negativity about
audio on this group, even with all the old flame wars (I've been around
the NG for about 7 years or so).

Well, I have no respect for pseudo-science, myth and old wives' tales which is all
that *certain* contributors to this group ( one of them for the most part ) can
offer.

The simple fact of the matter is that science *does* have the answers but you need to
understand the science ( and engineering practice ) first !

I was a newbie thinking of messing around with tube audio, this group
would knock the stuffing out of my aspirations and ideas on no time
flat.

You're afraid of healthy debate ?

I'm well aware that some ppl enjoy the colouration of vintage circuitry and toobs in
particular - and they're fully entitled to their preferences but for them to present
it as some kind of superior 'fidelity' is plain perverse. There is really a need for
a new term. One that takes account of the subjective nature of the opinions. I rather
doubt all toob lovers like the SET configuration for example, yet some rave about it
as if it were the Holy Grail !

Perhaps you could offer an opinion as to why a certain poster here talks about
'silicon slime' - and then justify why the criticism can be one way only ?

Graham